Hot rodding my new trailer

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by woody80z28, Dec 15, 2018.

1. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just bought a hot rod hauler, so naturally it's time to hot rod it. It's super light - only 1450lbs and I can lift it on and off the hitch and maneuver it around a bit. Has 4 wheel brakes and I got a pair of RaceRamps to make loading and unloading easy. My Camaro and Beretta are both really low with a lot of front overhang. It fits in the garage - barely! I had measured and knew it would be close, but that's why I didn't buy the 18-footer. It rides pretty rattly unloaded, but backing it up is pretty easy. Way better wheelbase than the utility trailer I used all summer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to cut a D-ring off to make room for a winch mount, and I can tell you the welds are solid. While I had the grinder out I rounded the corners of the trailer frame - my knee discovered that they were sharp! My old man had some million dollar conspicuity tape, so I hit the 4 corners with that for aesthetics. I tried to find a spot to keep the RaceRamps but there really isn't a good one. So they'll have to go in the truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A buddy's trailer has a receiver for a winch mount that I thought was genius, so I made one too. It will make swapping the winch back and forth from my trailer to my dad's super easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But after getting the mount welded in and finished I kinda want to raise it up a bit. The winch cable will drag on the crossbar as it is now. A couple inches would do the trick. I can buy an offset receiver to gain either 2 or 4 inches, but that's getting kinda hokey with a receiver, receiver adapter and hitch. So I may just cut up the old winch mount from my dad's trailer and make a hitch mount similar to what I bought, but taller. I also thought about making basically a fairlead with a single roller...I've seen small ones on tilt deck trailers. I've got some cast iron pipe I can grease and sleeve in conduit...don't know if that would really work or not. Trying to decide which way would be better. Anybody have some creative ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1980RS, Dave Nelson and Smokey15 like this.
  2. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

I also have my trailer winch on a removable mount just like that

ALL my buddies have mounts on their trailers but right now I'm the only guy with a winch...typical

3. woody80z28

Did you mount yours high so the cable doesn't drag? Of course I googled it after I did it and saw most are mounted higher than mine. haha

4. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Love the winch on the receiver idea!
    I also just bought a trailer (to be fair it was a buddy’s that I had been using more than him for like 10 years lol and he wanted to upgrade to an enclosed)
    The winch he had installed on a plate that bolts and unbolts from the trailer. It works well but is flippin heavy to always be installing/removing so it didn’t “grow legs”.

That’s a really nice looking trailer you’ve got and so light I bet it pulls real nice too!

5. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

When you haul a car, a dedicated car hauler is always best. Do your fenders come off? I went in with a buddy several years ago on a trailer and it didn't have fenders. I bought two new fenders and told him I wanted to hinge them on the outside so we could get the doors open on a car being hauled. He welded them on. I bought all the parts, paid for the insurance and when I got tired of his antics, he expected half the proceeds from the sale. Now my trailers are MY trailers.

6. woody80z28

This one has 8" fenders, so it clears even my lowered Beretta by 1.5in. I'm guessing that will be good for the Camaro too. I got tired of borrowing trailers that had lights out, no brakes...ramps that didn't work with a low car... My dad got a "deal" for a heavy equipment trailer that I had to do the brakes and wiring on. And it's still heavy as hell and way too high to load my cars. It has worked for him hauling partial cars with no bumpers or engines, but there was no chance for mine. I borrowed a buddy's trailer to go "full send" drag racing this fall and I had to rig up rickety ramps and load it backwards just to clear and get it all the way to the front for some tongue weight. Driving up a trailer backwards with a stick sucks.
    [​IMG]

In any case, I did make a 3" taller winch mount. It's heavy, but it works as a battery tray too. And it's free! Made it out of some old scrap my dad had around. Least amount of fabrication and saves the most money. haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Lol that last pic makes it look like you just did a massive burnout with your spare tire.

And I bet that winch/battery tray weighs a ton!

8. lakerboy84

lakerboy84 New Member

Nice work on the trailer.

9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice work , looks like a nice race car hauler!!

10. woody80z28

Yeah, the winch ain't light. I'm sure my dad will bitch. Haha

I actually just sent that spare tire mount back. It's wobbly as hell - I don't trust it. But I guess what should I expect for $10?