House Insulation-Retrofoam

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

My aunt had her house spray foam on a remodel, it was dead quiet in the house afterward.
    If my house was gutted, I would definitely do it.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Does your house have any insulation now? Not sure how practical how this is with existing stuff. I saw an old house years ago that had blown in foam insulation, the house was being torn down and the foam really was completely filling the wall cavities. Pretty impressive actually.

4. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

It should have fiberglass insulation in the walls since it was built in the 2000s. I can see the pink fiberglass insulation in the attic and it has compressed so I was thinking about the foam insulation in between the roof rafters and adding the foam in the walls of my house.

5. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

The salesman told me the foam insulation adds sound deadening properties to the house so it would be harder to hear outside noises.

6. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Its much better

7. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Interesting their video shows them blowing this foam into walls that have existing insulation. That's crazy. I always thought you had to gut your house to blow this stuff in. Apparently not. This would be a sweet upgrade when I go to re-side my place.

8. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

I was told that Retrofoam insulation was used a lot in the state of Michigan and I thought that someone would comment on their experience with this particular brand of foam insulation.

Has anyone on this forum had Retrofoam added to their existing house walls?

I want some "word of mouth" information before I make a decision about Retrofoam being installed in my existing walls.

9. DENALI

DENALI Veteran Member

I have done a lot of research on retrofitting homes needing insulation. I have looked into a product like retrofoam but by another name, works the same, installed the same just a different name. I have found others who have used it and for one reason or another they had to break into the walls for another reason and have found that this type of foam has shrunk away from the walls and studs after time. It has been 3 or 4 years ago since I had found the information but for that reason I decided just to pull all the plaster/lath and have the cavities sprayed with closed cell.

10. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

Do you remember the name of the other product that is simular to Retrofoam?

What has been your experience with the closed cell foam insulation? What benefits did you get from the foam insulation? Would you use it again?