House Insulation-Retrofoam

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Mar 23, 2017.

1. DENALI

DENALI Veteran Member

I do not remember the exact name but I would wager its the exact same product by a different company/name. Closed cell foam is in one word, Awesome!. I would use it again, and matter of fact plan to use it again on another upcoming project. It insulates and seals the envelope all in one shot.

2. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

Denali,

Thanks for sharing your information with me!

3. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

I would say if you are going to do it make sure 100% that you are done doing anything in the walls like adding outlets or dropping wires. Looks like a pain later if you need to.

4. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Close cell also forms an effective vapor barrier. I have it in 2 homes. love it

5. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

Where in your home did you use the foam insulation? How much did it reduce your utility bill?

6. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

my brother had the spray foam done years ago I don't know how much it has changed but after so long the foam shrank and he had no foam in the joist but only in spots

7. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

All exterior walls and the inside wall of the garage. Also did the floor of the attic. One small wood burning stove heats the whole house all winter (gets as low as -30). To be honest it's more noticeable in the lack of dampness and that the small split window A/C units more effectively cool the house. My garage which does not have an AC is a lot cooler to work in during the summer and the dehumidifier in the garage does not have to work very hard to keep it at 45%. Cost didn't come down too much as Quebec electricity rates are cheap. I'd say 15-20%

In Houston my a/c units function much less. Hot season coming so I'll know in a few months. Only started the A/C recently so I don't know yet.

8. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am not familiar with the product nor the application of putting it in existing walls, but I did note that in their informational video, there seem to be quite a few closely placed screws holding the plexiglass to the studs. - I would question in a real world situation where a sheet of drywall only has a few nails per stud, if the expansion rate might cause the drywall to push away from the stud. - Maybe it's fine and they have done their testing and homework and it performs well in retrofits or maybe it just doesn't create much PSI when it expands.

I have seen similar installations where the insulation goes in before the drywall, and then the excess is scraped clear before the drywall is installed. - In those cases, the spray foam really seemed like it would do a great job.

For the record, I had 1" of closed cell sprayed on the ceiling of my building and have been very happy with the result.

--

9. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

Retrofoam offers their customers a choice of open or closed cell foam and the salesman suggested closed cell be used to insulate the walls of my house's crawl space.