How ABS works

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bodymanbill, Oct 19, 2018.

1. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just try to not follow so close, to see how well they work.

2. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

IMSA allows Traction Control in all three classes, but ABS only in GTDaytona

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Try and put one side of car off the road in the durt ,other side on the road, slame on brakes about35, see how far you go befor you stop.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Computers on cars have gotten alot faster. The first semblance of a computer in a vehicle was too slow to be of any benefit. It just couldn't read the inputs and compute quick enough to be of any help. I also remember the early throttle bodies had terrible lag when you stomped the loud pedal. A carb roughly tuned had quicker throttle response than those early units.
    As for ABS, the front tires need to be turning to be able to steer in low traction situations.

5. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Interesting topic! easy to find out for yourself it want to. Just pull the fuse and soak a parking lot with water and put up some cones. See you you do vs the computer in stopping distance.

When I attended Bragg-Smith many years ago, they did this and the computer won every time. Threshold braking is very difficult to be perfect at.

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

abs is super awesome stuff.....however..my old 94 K1500...some genius at GM decided to ONLY put 2 wheel abs of course you can imagine the awesomness associated with the front wheels LOCKING UP...LIKE wtf do you need or care if the rear locks up...really...but the rear is what they managed>>>