how do i do a linelock?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by mcmurphy2121, Feb 26, 2012.

1. mcmurphy2121

mcmurphy2121 New Member

I want to put a line lock in my 79 camaro z28 but I'm not sure how everything works any help pictures or info on kits would be great!!! Thanks brothas

2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Heres a schematic to give you the basics

[​IMG]

3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm doing mine right now and will post a pic of my mounting bracket and lines in my progess thread. In that schematic why the relays? I'm just running 12 v straight from the switch on the shifter to the line lock and what is the extra toggle switch for? I'm not planning on brake lights being powered on when my line lock is actuated, I know it supposed to be but I can't see the big problem with it not. I get the second relay providing ground to the parking brake light wire so your brake light on the dash is on when system is actuated, some kits come with a light, but I like yours using the parking brake light. I got the Summit kit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-760000/

You also need some adapters to go from the big fitting size on the master and proportioning vlave down to 3?16 line size: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-5671515/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just finished up my install, pics below for the plumbing part of the install. I don't understand al the need for the relays in the above schematics. Here is a link to a simple electrical install:

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/49619_brake_line_lock_install/

Fabbed a bracket out of 1/8 steel that will attach to the bracket that holds the proportioning valve, drilled and tapped two holes in the proportioning valve bracket and tapped for 10-32 thread. You could drill clear holes and just use bolts and nuts, but there isn't alot of room behind the bracket, if you did it that way I would put bolt heads toward booster. Assemble both brackets together then install in car and put soleniod valve on next. The two right hand holes in the bracket I made are tapped for 1/4-28 and two bolts will hold line lock to my bracket, once again, you could just drill clear holes, stick some 1/4 inch screws through and put nuts on. I also usedone of the bolts to put my black ground wire to with a ring terminal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silver colored line coming out of proportioning valve now goes to line lock IN port, this port used to go to pass side front brake. The two factory lines at this end of the proportiong valve (front brakes) have now been moved to the brass "T" (3/16 flare line fitting avail @ NAPA). Where the drivers side front brake line was disconnected from the bottom of the proportioning valve has been plugged.[​IMG]

The green line going into the T fitting comes from the Line Lock Solenoid. You can see the line lock solenoid has one IN port (silver line) and three out ports. You could instead of using T fitting, use two of the out ports and run short pieces of brake line and connect to two front brakes using 3/16 inverted flare line unions.
    [​IMG]

I butterflied two adel clamps (blue clamps on lines) to support the lines, may have to fab an L bracket from stud where master cylinder bolts to booster or one from bolt on proportioning valve to go to lines and use an adel clamp to attach. The new T fitting moves a little and would like to make it more secure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012