How hard install subframe connectors

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by muscl car, Dec 22, 2015.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've got a set of Competition Engineering bolt in subframe connectors that I want to install in my 72 Camaro . I've tried a few shops local to me and they don't want to do the install ??? :confused: . How hard is it to do this ?? , I can't myself due to injuries and not able to get under the car . May have someone help me but curios how difficult the install is

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I did a pair, but I had a hoist. With the car up on the hoist, the most difficult part was drilling the holes in the subframe to mount them.

3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1) Put them up in place
    2) drill holes
    3) bolt together.

Not much harder than that. Garage may not want the hassle of warentee issues from this type of modification.

4. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

i havnt installed any yet but i cant imagine it to be that hard. im sure some nasty members may be close to you and able to help, if not try a less professional and more home town type shop. im sure if you check around youd find a shop thats less than brand name that would do it if you express that you understand the only warranty is the 100 yard type as in if they mess up the car in shop, its on them but once it leaves the property its on you. we have a guy out here like that. he will do anything you want him to. he takes pride in his work, but has a "if its not regular work or if you give him the part, once it leaves its not his responsibility". though he does honor his craftsmanship. there might be a shop around like that

5. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

With the basic style, I test fitted, prepped the metal for welding, paid some guy to come and weld them in. Just make sure weight is on the wheels on a level ground.

6. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you give me have your email address, I can send you the installation instructions. I don't know how to copy and post a link on my tablet.

7. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

If we were closer together, I would just do it for you...

8. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's pretty physical, drilling through the frame is not easy, even with good sharp bits, And trying to get in by the leaf springs to do the rear end of them, that was a chore. I was lucky and had a 90 degree air drill. I actually lai-d under the car and somehow got my foot on the drill to apply some pressure when drilling the front ones, still it was tough. Don't the CE ones bolt in where the bolts that hold the front spring perch to the frame? If so that end is pretty easy. Maybe a Hot Rod Shop would be willing to help you out rather than a regular garage. If you lived around here your car would be in my garage by now....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  9. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

10. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You have the same ones I installed on my car.

If I can do it, anyone can!!!