How long did your body shop take?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Ls3rs, Oct 14, 2018.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Just for paint?

2. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

Originally just for blast and epoxy. Then added '74 floors in a '78. Then my dad passed and I told the shop to put it on hold for a few months to figure out what I wanted to do. Then added whole front end and paint. Then added everything they can do including plumbing to get the car done faster. I wanted to do the wiring so I know where everything is and have some tricky wiring I'm going to do to slip up hot wiring.

3. Dentguy

Dentguy Veteran Member

Sorry bout your dad passing but one thing you never tell a Bodyshop or machine shop is no big hurry or hold on for a while cause it gets shoved in a corner and never gets put back in a schedule

4. Huggerorange80

Huggerorange80 Member

I dont understand the appeal of restoring a car unless youre going to do all of it.

After you do the paint, body, ect, there aint much else to do.

5. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

It took my body shop guy from June 1 to October 1 about 4 months + he worked on other cars also but all by himself. That was to blast, prime ,paint no fixing rust or dents and it super straight I thought that was good. Some of my friends had their car in paint jail for 2 + years by other body shops .

6. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

I hate body work and after all this time I just want it done so I can drive it. Dont care now that someone else did the plumbing. I mounted the motor and trans for the first time and lined all that up. And I stripped the car down to the frame and had the subframe powder coated. I picked everything that is going into it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Most guys don’t have the extra cash to buy all the equip for 1 paint job, like me.

8. Ls3rs

Ls3rs New Member

That would be awesome if I did it myself, but sadly I am more likely to take the whole thing apart, let it sit for a couple years and then lose interest. There should be plenty for me to do after paint with more suspension and engine upgrades

9. Jfwyatt1

Jfwyatt1 Member

I've been doing restorations on the side at my shop since 99 on average for a paint job with no rust repair it usually takes me 6-8 weeks depending on body condition. I've done cars in as little as 4 weeks and spent almost 2 years on a 41 willys truck that I had a hard time finding anything usable on.

Ls3rs likes this.
  10. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

it took 3 months on my car, they installed new quarters and disassembled my car for repair and paint, they let me come in to take pictures of the progress, now they were up front that the car would be fill in work but it would be done in six months at the most.