How long did your body shop take?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Ls3rs, Oct 14, 2018.

1. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It amazes me that it takes that long. You carry a shell over there and they sit on it for a year or two? Sad

2. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

3 years!
    First thing the shop did was take it apart and put the front end outside, 2-years later it was mated to the remainder of the car. Pulled the car after 2 1/2 years, worked on it and communicated via e- mail the date to bring it back with timing to completion of 6-weeks. In the 8th week contacted an attorney and since the timeline was documented a letter was sent by the attorney that if the car was not completed within 3-weeks car would be taken elsewhere and suit to follow. Got the car back 5-weeks later finished!
    No one wants it to come to that BUT. In our Illinois county small claims court max is 10k and the shop was made aware.
    Lesson learned, get timing in writing and you are not a victim, you have recourse!

3. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

https://sites.google.com/site/paintjail/home

^ My experience with getting my 71 painted....what ended being a pretty straightforward business transaction ended up being very exhausting and dragged out. I will never take a vehicle to a bodyshop again without getting some sort of signed contract or agreement.

4. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

my last paint job (little body work) took 5 months - but I dropped it off in the fall - had it in the heated shop all winter - was done by spring - with fresh paint / stripes. Was sanded down, tinted primer (to match color coat), minor dings repaired, painted, color sanded/polished, new stripes.

5. Normblue79Z

Normblue79Z New Member

Two years...and I had to reassemble it. i screwed up and took it to a "friends" shop.... dont ever do that.

6. Ls3rs

Ls3rs New Member

839615B5-77F3-4C9A-BD83-77DFA58F9526.jpeg Well it looks like we have some progress! Still needs cutting, buffing, and polishing but I am happy with the results so far

7. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

my car is still in body shop jail after 4yrs. May need to fire the bodyman. Oh wait thats me. Restoration work at body shops is a nightmare. Even when I worked in a body shop in 1991 to 1994 resto's were 2nd priority. insurance=money.

8. Desert_Dick72SS

Desert_Dick72SS Veteran Member

11 months to finish bodywork on everything forward of the doors, plus paint, 5 coats of clear and color sand/buff. $19,700...

-Rich

9. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've done lots of body mods and work (full rotisserie deal) but I've been waiting a year and a half to get it into my buddy's shop. He promises it will be done this winter. I hate the wait, but he does excellent work and I trust him.