How many miles out of a Duramax diesel?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Nate81camaro, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Nate81camaro

Nate81camaro Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2006
    lost
    My buddy's thinking of getting rid of his 4th gen (LT1 auto Z28) and getting a 2001+ pickemup with a duramax. If maintenance is regularly taken care of, how many miles can one reasonably expect out of one? I'm guessing around 400k.

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    I've heard you want to get the newer Duramax over the older one. The LLY I think....

I forget what year is the better version. But I've seen Powerstroke 7.3L
    go 500,000 miles properly maintained. :) Samething with Cummins ....I
    think one of those 2 made it to the 1,000,000 mark, but obviously the
    Dodge truck would have fallen apart Loooooooong before then.

3. Nate81camaro

Nate81camaro Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2006
    lost
  4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Duramax_engine
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/durafaq.htm

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  5. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 20, 2003
    I AM ILK
    my buddy has an 02 or so that i took to carlisle. he has 180k on the clock. he did just spend over 1.5k on injectors or something rediculous like that.

6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 8, 2001
    san bernardino calif
    i'm a heavy duty diesel mechanic and have even seen older mechanically injected diesel non turbo engines run up to 750k before they even need an inframe overhaul . if you're really good with maintenance like changing the oil every 7500 miles and changing the fuel filter every other oil change you should be just fine . another really good item on any diesel engine is a water/fuel separator just after the tank and before the pump .something that i like putting in the fuel itself is fuel conditioner like what's available from lucas in the 5 gal bottle . this helps the fuel from becoming stale and wet with water . diesel fuel if left at 1/2 tank in cold weather will develop an algae type substance that'll clog up the fuel system fast also at a 1/2 tank the fuel will become very wet with moisture

other things that help diesels live very long is being aware of EGT's "exhaust gas temps" and to not let those temps get close or over 1300 degrees as it'll destroy the motor

so i would say you should be fine with the duramax for at least 750k before any mechanical issues arise

7. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    All I'm gonna say, if you want a diesel, then get a Mitsi FUSO!!

Imho, it's as tho ALL US vehicle manufacturers have done everything they can to discredit the diesel engines longevity that they try to SELL to us MASSES from the git-go when GM brought out the Olds 260 and 350 engines way back then!!

And did anybody catch Ford's recent 750,000 to one million + diesel engine powered vehicles RECALL????

And over in EUROPE, they have at least 50 percent diesel engine powered vehicles so go the f-- figure here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pdq67

8. muscl car

Jul 8, 2001
    san bernardino calif
    they had a problem with the injector seals drying out causing fuel leaks on the injector rail .one thing that'll kill a diesel engines fuel pump and injectors very quickly is gas contamination .just putting in 5-10 gallons of gas in a diesel will within 5-10k kill the fuel pumps teflons seals

9. muscl car

Jul 8, 2001
    san bernardino calif

yep some of the older generation 7.3 powerstroke engines had piston pin oiling issues and other oiling issues that caused alot of blown motors .the newer 7 litre twin turbo powerstokes were recalled due to fire in the tail pipes from raw fuel igniting

10. notadirttrack77

notadirttrack77 Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Byron,Ga USA
    The 01-04 Duramax has a 10year / 200,000 miles special policy on injectors if they are leaking fuel into the crankcase. GM pays for this. If this is what was going on, he's due a refund,