How many of you have had this problem

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Aug 23, 2019.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Broken exhaust manifold bolts on an LS engine. My 02 Suburban had 2 broken bolts on the LH side and next week I was going to fix them. Well I went out to take a look as the exhaust tick was getting louder and today I see 4 broken on the LH side and now 2 on the RH side so it looks like I may have to replace them all. I am going to attempt do do the weld a nut to them as the bolt heads are just breaking off leaving the stud there. Good news is if I need to take the manifolds off I will just buts them all off then heat'em then twist them off. You can bet I will be getting a lot better bolt in there.

2. Plater Tom

Plater Tom Veteran Member

My brother told me he had a similar situation with his Suburban not long ago. When he told me that I just could not believe it. That made no sense to me. What is the reason that it happens? Tom

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Super common on the ls motors. Usually the rearward ones.
    Dormant part number 03413B they are about $10 for the set.
    Take the manifolds off, you will be able to get at the bolt with vice grips and turn them out. If it’s ticking the exh gaskets are toasted too so you need to pull the mani anyway. They don’t usually seize in there just the bolt head pops off.

midascircle and 1980RS like this.
  4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

yep

03 Hummer H2 with a 6.0

missing 3 on one side & 2 on the other

got it cheap because of the "lifter tick" which it wasn't

bought it like that & sold it but never fixed it

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Good to know, maybe I will just pull them. Just hope the rest of them just pop the heads off I hate drilling out bolts in heads. Did too many on the damn Fiero recall, they sucked to do.

6. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Common problem with both LS and Hemi engines. Had to do both sides of my 2012 5.7 Hemi. Seen dozens of broken LS exhaust bolts at my buddies shop. Not sure anyone really knows why this happens with such regularity.

7. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

If its just the end bolt and you catch it before the gasket goes bad there is a bracket that bolts to end of head with a bolt that tightens on the manifold to keep it tight think the name is Kral,I caught my 04 Z-71 quick and put one on,works great,they make this device for other engines too-There is one designed for each end of the head for L-S engines-Later Steve!!

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Kid's LS Tahoe, same thing. At first we were discouraged because we didn't want to take the manifold off, but we had to. All the heads were busting off the bolts. Good thing we did because after breaking all the bolts and we got the manifold off (left side) and the studs spun out easily. A couple by hand. Weight of the manifold? Gualding or rust? Who knows. Look at the manifold too. His had a crack in it toward the back.

9. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 2012 6.0L 2500 hd started ticking earlier this summer. Both sides rear bolts broken, It only has 85K on the clock. My rant is the manufacturer should should be responsible for this problem. Also my former 2000 5.3L 1500 Silverado did the same thing around 130k I didn't have a problem with that. But 85K on a 2012. That's using poor quality fasteners.

zfool likes this.
  10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I experienced a couple of broken bolts on my '02 Silverado when I decided to put long tube headers on it. Like others said, once I got the manifold out of the way, the remainder of the bolts came out relatively easily.

Since I was using headers, I bought header bolts from Jegs to do the job anyway.