How much base coat to buy

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by larrylarry, Oct 17, 2012.

1. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I'm going to paint my 78, everything on the outside not inside.Most likely with gold metallic.Don't really know what brand to use,but I understand that using a cheaper paint doesn't cover as well,but also I can't afford to spend 400.00 on paint.This will be my first paint job also.Any ideas on a user friendly metallic paint that won't brake the bank? I've been doing alot of resurch on this an it seems I'll need 3 coats plus a little more.About how much metallic paint would I need?

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Gallon did mine with a little left over.If its a custom mix,I would get a little more for down the road.

3. rydeer

rydeer Veteran Member

Feb 28, 2012
    south NJ
    First Paint job? Don't spray metallic!!!!!!! Shoot it a solid color and be happy with your work. Tooo Many opportunities to screw up metallic paint.

4. dgiepss

dgiepss Veteran Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Coweta Oklahoma
    i mixed 2 gallons for my car and almost used it all but thats doing all the flares and wheels as well

5. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    the gold does not cover well. i have painted several solar gold t/a's. this gold takes 4 passes to cover completely. you also have different mixing ratios with different paints. usually 1-1 or 2-1. i always want more paint than i need. are you using b/c c/c or single stage? money spent on good paint will pay off in the long run.

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I'm going to use a base coat then clear coat.I was told not to use metallic for my first paint job,but I'm kind of limited because my interior color is camel ( dark tan). I'm having a hard time finding a color I like that will match.Didn't want to use black, to much like a trans am,don't want white,tan,red,the only color I kind of liked was jaguar green,( racing green). So I'm going to paint it the same color it came with or something close. I've been studying Autobody101 & SPI web site an have learned alot,taking notes. One question I have is what is an inter coat, what's its use. Another question is can I tint the 2k primer to something like a light brown to help out the coverage of the gold metallic? Is their something I can buy to change the color of a white 2k primer? Or skip on using white an use a gray?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  7. hig

hig Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Central NY
    I know you can tint the SPI 2K Urethane Sealer with up to 10% color (according to Barry) but I'm not sure about the 2k Primer. I had white sealer left over from a project and I added black Pro-Spray toner to make it grey.

Steve

8. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Larry,
    You can think of intercoat clear as clear base coat. . .cause that is what it is. It is devoid of pigments, toners or metallics. It is used for custom work or pearls. Here is an example. I painted my daily driver acura with white base coat. Then I mixed silver and blue ghost pearl pigments into SPI's intercoat clear and sprayed two light coats of it THEN cleared the whole thing. The effect is a pearl blue/silver cast in the right light conditions only a direct angle to the surface. My Camaro is metallic blue with ghost Z28 stripes in white pearl. I used the itercoat clear for this as well. Unless you are looking, you cannot see them, by design. If you are not doing customs or pearls or making your own base coat (which I recently did at a decent cost savings but would NOT recommend any beginner do) then you do not need intercoat clear. It is a fantastic product and SPI's is priced at a third of PPG's which is inferior anyway.

As far as tinting primer or sealer. It can be done BUT what are you trying to do. It may end up being easier and cheaper to just use base coat. So if you are doing gold, and worried about coverage so you want to lay something down first, you could use brown basecoat. My best advice is to buy basecoat that will cover well. I think that Ken already warned you that gold is pretty transparent. I do not recall every having sprayed any gold so I can't advise.

I did heavily tint SPI epoxy primer with black toner paste to make a dark gray contrast coat when block sanding. It works OK but there are limits to how much you should add. Run everything by Barry as he is the expert.

I hope that helps. Free advice, buy some gold base, get a test panel and a decent gun, get it dailed in and see what you come up with. You may be able to pull it off. Camel interior goes really well with Red in my mind but you seem to be opposed which I respect.

Good luck,
    Brent

9. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    only thing with tinting primers or sealers is that it can sometimes cause you not to put enough base on the car. if you get the sealer tinted too close to your color you can wind up with not enough base on the car. i want a pretty good bit of contrast in my sealer and base. when i i see no sealer under the base i am spraying i know i have the car covered. as far as camel tan interior you can go with a white, yellow, beige, red, i would highly consider this color below, it is a 1980 color and looks very good with a camel interior. i painted this car about 5-6 years ago. it had a camel tan interior and the paint has no metallic in it
    [​IMG]

this car took almost 2.5 gals of sprayable material, but was painted inside and out.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  10. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    Well, a $400 budget ain't much. I have been successful with 3 coats on a metallic - 2 to get it colored and a third to lay the metallic even. BUT it depends on your paint choice. Omni for example is WAY watered down compared to PPG and would take more to cover. PPG is very pricey but will cover very well. I just painted a Camaro that was SPI 2K gray with a PPG red basecoat and it almost covered in 1 coat. You are always better with less coats ( less trash less runs). I painted an entire car exterior plus all jambs and spoiler 3 coats with 3 quarts raw color (6 qts mixed). Do you have quality guns, compressor and such?