How much freeon to charge ?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 1st and goal, Jul 14, 2013.

1. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

Hi,
    How much freeon (R12) should it take to charge an AC system on a early second gen camaro?

Thanks,
    Marc

2. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

My 70 takes 4.00 lbs., this is with the system completely empty.

3. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

The compressor should tell you.
    I went by that, My 71 said 3.25 lbs.
    I think my 70 C10 and 70 Camaro said 4 lbs.

I put in 42 oz of R134a and called it good when the thermometer read 34*.

Start off with the lighter charge, it is easy to add more. It's hard to remove the right amount.
    Go by your low and high side readings.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  4. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Where are you going to get R 12 at? It's not made any more.

5. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies...
    I'm not looking for R12, just curious as to what it should have taken back in the day so I get a ballpark as to what I should put in now....

I put an LS1 into my 73 Z/28 w/ factory air and I recently put an LS1 A/C compressor on the car and had some lines fabbed up but am not sure how much of a charge to put in. I was told to use 80% as a conversion factor when calculating for R134. I put two pounds in and it was cold for a second but then faded. I'm still getting bubbles in the dryer window. I used F111 to clean the system as it was open for a number of years. Looks like I'll crank it up and go from there. With two pounds I was at 40 and 170 for pressure.

I'm actually glad I didn't have the A/C working the other day as it was too hot out so I took my 09 G8 GT to the store to get my kid a present for her birthday and on the way home when I was turning onto my street I got rear ended. I saw the guy coming and put to the wood but the G8 only comes out of the hole so quickly. Bumper cover, tail light, exhaust, crash bar / supports are fubar but the car held up well and I'm OK overall but now I'm either driving my Camry rental car or roasting my balls off in my Z. Not that I'm happpy my G8 got hit but better that car than my Z.

Marc

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A friend of mine uses propane and it works.

7. RLL Z-28

RLL Z-28 Veteran Member

I have bought a good bit of it off Craigslist it runs about $25 to $30 bucks a can or $300 bucks for one of those big green bottles.

8. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Not sure using a flammable gas is a good idea in an automobile....especially in a system not designed to use it. When I got my R12 refrigerant license in 1995, during the class we watched a video of an old Chrysler vehicle that used flammable gas as AC refrigerant. The system had a pinhole leak inside the car. The techs taped a spark plug to the steering wheel and ran a lead wire to it and stood off some 100 yards or so. When they ignited the plug, the explosion blew the entire roof off the car and peeled the doors down like bananas.

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

The right way to remove any air & water vapor is to vacuum the system with a pump. The wrong way is to blow a can of 134 thru it, but I it works. Engine running, a/c on , new can connected to the low side an flowing, then with a screw driver press down on the tire valve looking thing on the high side an squirt out about 30 seconds worth of 134. Do this until you have no more air bubbles. If you have leak detector in the system it'll be all over the place. An remember, I didn't tell you this... I do have a vacuum pump that hardly gets used, dust collector.