How much HP do catalytic converter rob

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 1dkm4me, Sep 8, 2011.

1. 1dkm4me

1dkm4me Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Phoenix Arizona
    I wonder because my 80 still has a pair on it. I hate the smell, I hate what cats do to exhaust.

2. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    If they smell they have gone bad and need to be replaced

3. 1dkm4me

1dkm4me Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Phoenix Arizona
    I cant say they smell smell they just change the smell to a sweetish smell. or something.

I agree they need to be not replaced but removed, here in Texas we can remove them if the car is 25 year or older.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    If they smell, they aren't working right.

Modern monolith cats don't rob much at all. I think Lingenfelter did a test with a 383 and properly-sized setup (including properly sized cat) and got about 4hp when he took it off. Hardly worth it, unless, like yours, they don't seem to be working.

EDIT: It's never OK or legal to remove a cat from any car that had one. That's a Federal law, always has been. States that don't have checks don't give a crap, though...:)

5. 1dkm4me

1dkm4me Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Phoenix Arizona
    I agree, I thought modern cats needed to be close to heat source and have air injection if they are the dual chamber type etc.

Off they come.

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    bring it to your scrap metal dealer . you should be able to get about 75 bucks or more for the platinum in it . call around for pricing . its a pretty big cat compared to todays , unless its been hollowed out . which is my suggestion, hollowing it out. visually its there , as far as the ceramic guts , its hollow . no restriction .

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    BTW on a stock exhaust system in any 75 to 81 camaro , there was only one catalytic converter . it was under the passenger side seat. . there was 2 resonators and 1 transverse muffler on some of the later V8 camaros along with the cat . that was the problem with it , the exhaust manifolds went into a very small diameter Y pipe into the cat then back into two pipes

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  8. 1dkm4me

1dkm4me Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Phoenix Arizona

The PO has true duals and ceramic style cats.

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    well then were not talking a stock exhaust and the cats probably rob very little . do you know the maker of the exhaust system ?

10. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2004
    FLA
    one look at the stock setup on mid/late 70s f bodies and its no wonder these cars made no HP