How not to make HP with a 427 BBC

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 1980RS, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:19 PM.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Watch the video, it's pretty interesting how some people choose parts to make power. A real LOL'er here.

Rdobbs1977 and jeff swisher like this.
  2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

HA! that would suck for the guy that bought it.
    I wonder if it was even a 427".

I was thinking mine should make 575 HP and was prepared to see what 600 HP build would be like.
    I did not get to see it.

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I personally think it's a 454 as I have never seen flat top forged pistons for a 427. Would make for a nice turbo or blower engine. My old service manger had the same thing with a 454 he had in his 71 Chevelle, his 454 engine only made 350hp dished pistons and sq. port heads 119cc.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Very cool video. Looks like a great shop too.

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I have always been a sucker for an orange 70 Roadrunner. I'm glad he added that part.

Actually not sure it's a 70 now, still bad ass.

6. SS Performance

SS Performance Veteran Member

That is why I never buy engines except from a well known shop. I learned the hard way. Years ago I purchased a 454, complete. After I got it home I needed to change the oil pan. Popped the pan to discover there where no pistons or rods in the motor and one cylinder had a rod punched thru it. Everything was junk.

Live and learn.

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Wow, that's a dick thing to do to a buyer. When I sell an engine I write down everything on paper for the guy and take pictures of the engine parts when I put it together. I also pull the pan before I sell it so they can be sure it has the parts I stated. The 406 I am going to use was the same thing, guy I was going to sell it to looked at it said the 406 has hyper pistons, told him to run the part number on the top and it will come back as a .030 forged flat top speed pro piston. Did not believe me and would not but the engine, he was convinced they were hypers.

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is why I only buy a Crate engine or long block from reputable builder / mfg

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Maybe if they were stock pistons. Obviously being installed backwards and looks to be an overbore piston, being a flat top doesn't tell you what displacement it has. Its like fishing stories...the power is always bigger than it really is. 360hp in a BBC probably did feel like 600hp to him....lol. You should never buy a used engine from someone you don't trust. I see LT4 engines on CL all the time for $11-12K...for the level of risk....Ill spend $2K more for peace of mind.

There must have been something the owner was concerned about or he wouldnt have spent the money to have it checked out.

10. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

lol it looked like a badass engine till the internals told the story. What a moron whoever it was--Trifecta--previous owner did not know how to assemble an engine, must have been drunk at some point in the assembly process, and obviously not a builder either. Nonetheless, roll of the dice when you buy something. Two years ago i bought a 350 off a guy who said it was .030 over. Before we went my dad said, 'son you gonna check it and bring your dial bore?' I said nah (honestly was too lazy to get my mic out and calibrate the dial bore at the time). Get out there and block looked pristine, fresh hone. Guy said its a .030, put his caliper on it and said, 'see.' LMAO. Didn't have the heart to tell him that the caliper was not the tool to use for this. I bought it anyway as what i needed at the time was just an SBC and i'd do what i needed to get where i wanted, though did want it to be .030 over to save time. It wasn't .030. Ya never know.. EDIT: To the guy that took the heads off--leave the rockers on or at least two of em so you can grab it by them:)