how the heck do you get rid of bamboo?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

house behind us has bamboo planted in the alley as a blind. if anyone knows about bamboo it spreads. the current owner isnt doing anything with it. I have a garage with alley access so I go out with a machete a couple times a year to cut it back.
    So does anyone here have a sure way of killing this weed on the cheap? (cant burn it) I've tried 100 pounds of water softener salt, liquid pool shock, nothing that can seep or leak out of a car will kill this crap.
    so any shade tree gardener with a sure shot meathod? looking for cheap! jim

2. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been told you have to dig a narrow trench and put a landscap divider down 8 to 12 inches as the roots keep spreading out close to the surface. So you lile make a border wall that comes up a few inches above ground too and keep it up and that will stop it from spreading.

3. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

if it was in my yard or between yards that would be a option. this crap is in the alley and I'm hoping for the impossible. cheap and minimal work. jim

4. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

5. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Seems like I read this same exact post 10 years ago here, lol.o_O

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll bet Maverick could sawsall the life out of it. :)

7. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

Bamboo is amazing at spreading. My grandpa planted some bamboo on the North side of his house 40 years ago. Within a few years it had grown under the house and was sprouting along the south side of his house.

With that being said I don’t think he ever figured out how to kill it, the bamboo is still growing there 40 years later after the new owners have made several landscaping attempts.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I had some that came from the Neighbor. I got out the pick ax and chopped it out. Some of it was close to 3ft deep. It kept coming back. I went back to chopping. Now is is in the ditch behind my fence but I have not seen it in my yard for a couple years. I sprayed herbicide every time I saw the new stuff come back. I guess it got tired of me and wet to the ditch where it is not messed with till the city comes and clears it out. Disney world has Concrete tubs around 3ft deep built in to the ground with a 6" curb to contain it. I asked one of the gardeners how they kept it in one spot. That is what he told me or grow it in an above ground concrete container or build in the ground. The parts I chopped I let dry out and burned it.

9. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

One of my neighbors got some decorative ivy of some sort and I've been trying to kill it for some time. It and honey suckle took over one section of my yard I don't go to very often. Roundup didn't touch it and it even seemed to act like That finally killed the Honeysuckle but the ivy is going strong.a fertilizer for Roundup. I tried some stuff called Knockout and mixed it strong.

10. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

its my understanding the landscape divider should be metal.

Good luck with this.....its my understanding getting rid of bamboo can be a job.