How to buy a new truck?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ChevyReb, Apr 17, 2014.

1. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

It will kick and buck like a mother fudger on dry ground. That is normal. You could always take my moms expedition out on the highway in dry weather and experience what it is like to have it kick into 4X4 at high speed for no apparent reason. It has done that a few times along with kicking in at low speeds going around turns once in a while. Ford has replaced the GEM module twice already and it now needs a 3rd. They keep sealing it up and after a while it will get the module wet again and start acting crazy.

Im not saying I wouldn't rather gm trucks be built here but I love and trust the LS platform and I like the interior of the gm suv's. I am about to turn 23K on my mexican avalanche and I haven't found anything wrong with it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do not want or need a 4x4 truck. I had one for 10 years and used 4WD twice. Both times to pull someone else out. They can call a tow truck if 2WD with limited slip can't do it. Not worth the cost of gas mileage at my expense to be able to help someone out every 5 years. I will check the VIN number. I'm also looking at the Toyota's but Gas mileage is a determining factor as well. I don't like the looks of the Dodge trucks that much. Some of the Fords look OK but that would be like changing from being a Dolphins fan to pulling for the Patriots:screwup:

I'm going to have to check out the Made in Mexico thing.

3. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

Best advice I can give is, figure out exactly what you want, and exactly what you can live without. Stay as close as possible to the options you want. Paying for stuff you don't need, even if there is a significant discount off MSRP, adds up quick.

Figure out exactly how much the vehicle you want will cost with your discount. Full size trucks tend to be discounted heavily at the end of their model year, so if you see what you want on the lot at that time try to negotiate the best price possible. They have high profitability during their model year, so you may find dealers willing to break even or lose money on leftovers.

Search out all discounts that are applicable. An extra $500 doesn't seem like a lot on a $30K purchase, but $500 would buy a lot of gasoline.

Stay away from dealers that tag on a lot of "extras" such as pinstriping, bedliners, undercoating, seat protectant, filling the tires with nitrogen, etc that has been done to the truck before you even get to it. These things are highly overpriced and won't be negotiable. Don't even bother with these guys because they tend to be sneaky when it comes to screwing you out of money. These tend to be the dealerships you will hear on the radio offering $5000 for any trade in, thousands off MSRP if you buy today.

When it's all said and done, if you can't find exactly what you want, consider ordering something. I know with Chrysler, their affiliate rewards program (1% below invoice price, probably similar to your discount) applies to vehicles you special order along with other discount coupons. You may not get the most off MSRP, but you will get exactly what you want without paying for what you don't. Dealers tend to order vehicles with things that have high profitability and are easy to squeak by customers. Connectivity packages, convenience packages, stereo options, things like this. Ordering exactly what you want can potentially save you thousands; plus you get something specially made for you, which has some value I think.

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Correct
    Normal for GM? The F150 doesnt do that at all.....
    First major thing I noticed in a test drive. No Ford nuthuggin here either.

Iirc the Tundra didnt either
    Well those are gone now. Theyre LTx engines.

Not going to lie, I have uber faith in GM LS motors also:)
    But if they are made by Mexicans in the future, I will only buy em out of boneyards

5. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

The real question is why in the hell would one have it in 4 high anyways for any kind of street driving?:confused:
    They all have an auto selection and that's where it should be unless your doing some serious off roading.

6. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

really?:screwup:

my 09 F250 4x4 has lock in/lock out hubs, and a stick in the cab to shift the transfer case....just like a REAL 4x4 truck should!

7. Aceshigh

^ This, plus.....
    Last I checked, people turn 90* left turns in winter everyday on the street with 4x4 engaged.

My wife left 4x4 on all the time in her SUV during snowfalls, and possible black ice.

8. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

you did mean in the snow, NOT on dry pavement. right?

my truck would be peeling tire in 4wd making a turn on dry

9. Aceshigh

You can test drive a truck on dry pavement and engage 4x4 just to see what your turning radius is before it binds up and starts hopping.
    Some have a better turning radius then others.

Reason why I said it's important (To us anyways) is with an "Auto" feature, you vehicle might engage 4x4 without you realizing it for good reason in rain, or snow. Sometimes a not so good a reason. (Parts fail....it's a fact of life) Then when you try to turn left quickly and then your truck begins binding up and hopping. It happened to my wife in traffic and she panicked. You can get T-boned as you're hopping through an intersection that you tried to pull through quickly and then your vehicle locks you down in that manner.

So now I make sure the turn radius is acceptable in case it puts us in 4x4 without us realizing it.
    My Jimmy had this issue, common in fact. Her GMC Envoy (Ascender) was fine though

10. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

LMAO 4x4 newb.
    These aren't the 4x4's of the 70's and 80's.
    The auto feature is to your (and your wife's) benefit. Use it.;)