How to pick the right turbo for a LQ4 or any application

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ronzz572, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am seriously going crazy In my search for the right turbo for my LQ4. Again getting lost in the many choices for the right turbo for my application. Is there a means of deciding the correct size turbo, turbo type, turbo brand? Also Can some one help with some really good current turbo information? Maybe a future stickie here for turbos? I researched here only finding some older threads without any serious disscusion on making a turbo decisions. Also maybe some info on waste gates and BOV valves?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

3. ronzz572

Thanks 77nomad. Definitely some helpful Links is a good start here. I been there on a recent on a search. They do have some serious tech information. But I could not find what I was looking for there.

4. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Have you set a power goal and dollar budget on the turbo?

5. ronzz572

600 to 650 rear wheel HP. Is a goal I have.

6. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

That should be easy with a "relatively" cheap turbo.

For some sound advice, I recommend calling http://stores.customracingturbos.com/StoreFront.bok

Leave a message and they WILL CALL BACK...something that is rare at most performance shops. Good people there.

7. Madmike72

Madmike72 Veteran Member

Everything you need to know is on the turbo forum. I'm no expert but I do have some first hand experiance with turbos and I've been studying on the forum for a few years. I recomend a Borg Warner s400 turbo. Call Majestic Turbo and tell them your combo and goals and they can make a recomendation. there are a lot of variables when picking a turbo.

8. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Ron, give these guys a call and talk to them, they speced out the turbo we put on the GTO making over 600 at the wheels

http://forcedinductions.com/

9. ronzz572

Thanks Mike and Ron for the information. Visited both places. The turbo forum and www.forcedinductions.com Both are excellent information source and will be very helpful.

10. Joeyc125

Joeyc125 New Member

I made 793rwhp 939rwtq on e85 with my forged piston/rod 6.0, I ran a tc76. It's on the small side for running it that hard, but it spools really nice and pushed my 5000lb 4x4 truck into the 10's on pump gas (e85) and street tires. This was with a bone stock head, intake and throttle body top end. I picked up a new turbonetics billet wheel 76/75 ball bearing for the 5.3 going in my 73 camaro. That would be perfect for your goals. It will spool nice on an lq4, and still pull hard on the top end.