How to pick the right turbo for a LQ4 or any application

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ronzz572, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I want to turbo my 2nd gen LS1 soooooo bad dammit.

I even took the welding classes and bought a welder......not a TIG tho.
    I wish there was an expert on this that could give us an itemized kickass list and "How to".

2. Joeyc125

Joeyc125 New Member

I built and tuned almost my whole turbo truck myself including the engine. Only thing I had help with was the turbo manifold itself. It's surprisingly easy for anyone who has a little fab ability. I ran that same turbo setup on a bone stock 125k mile 5.3 before I built the 6.0 for it. It ran really hard on 14psi boost, probably made 550hp at the wheels I'd guess. The factory bottom end of these things will take a beating as long as the tune is good. I have a buddy putting down just shy of 1000rwhp through a 4l80 and a transfer case with a factory, untouched bottom end, head studs/gaskets and self ported stock heads. Truck runs mid 9's and he drives it cross country, even sand drags with it, lol. I don't do it for a living, but I have a fair amount of experience if you'd like some help!

3. Aceshigh

I do. :D

Give me an idea on breakdown of total investment required in parts.
    The welding I planned on doing myself. I want a twin turbo setup but
    I keep hearing $10,000 .......that's scary.

I kept my truck manifolds to flip them upside down and reuse as I heard it was a popular thing.

4. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

You will keep hearing 8-10K to do it "right" but, some people think you have to start from scratch with a new block and go from there.
    The LS platform can handle alot like Joeyc125 says.

I figured $7800 a few years ago with a new GenI style Dart block and going from there but it did not include welding the tubing. I would have to farm that out for additional $$. This was for twins to push 1000HP.

I say get a used LS motor and follow the path Joeyc125 suggests. You will win that way.

5. Joeyc125

Joeyc125 New Member

Twins will add to the cost, I run a single on my truck, and doing a single on the car also. Here's the breakdown for something like mine:
    Turbo- $6-1300
    Blowoff valve and waste gate- -$375
    Misc oil lines, fittings, etc- $150
    Larger injectors-$550
    Exhaust tubing, flanges, etc-$300
    2-bar map sensor- $100
    Associated gauges (boost, wideband o2, fuel pressure)-$3-800

That's the basic breakdown for a single turbo setup. Now obviously your drivetrain will need to be up to the task, and you'll need to get it tuned.
    My expectations for my stock bottom end L33 (5.3) is 725rwhp and upper 9 sec 1/4 times while being a daily driver in the summer getting 22-26mpg hwy on pump gas.

6. Aceshigh

I have an LS1 in my Z28 and an LY6 (LSx) in my 442.

Already covered that, I'm inquiring about the additional costs of putting twin blow drivers on them.
    Thanks, this is what I'm in search of a breakdown in costs.....
    Question, is there a BOV for each turbo, or is this an optional thing ?

Did you buy everything new ?
    I'm looking at possibly getting used things to keep costs down, but not sure yet.
    Still debating this.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. Joeyc125

Joeyc125 New Member

FWIW my built 365 (6.0 .005+) wasn't too expensive either, and it has 30k hard miles on it with 50+ 10 and 11 sec 1/4 passes on it.
    Junkyard iron block lq4 - $950
    Machine work to hone .005" - $600
    Forged 4032 autotec pistons/rings-$549
    Scat forged I-beams (pretty light, and decently strong)-$299
    Ls9 head gaskets and studs-$350
    Isky camshaft and valve springs-$600
    80lb injectors-$550
    Used the stock block, crank, intake, fuel rails, intake, throttle body and heads. I made a lot of the factory stuff work for me, modified the factory fuel rail crossover to have two inlets and still use the stock fuel pressure regulator, along with a few other tricks I forget to mention.
    This setup made the 793rwhp 939rwtq and ran at that power level on the street all the time, detuned a little at the track so I didn't get kicked out for no cage when I bracket raced it.

8. Joeyc125

Joeyc125 New Member

I bought everything new, I'm a little hesitant about used turbos in the performance world. Twin setup usually has two blow offs and waste gates, but I've seen it done using single BOV's.

9. Joeyc125

Joeyc125 New Member

[​IMG]

10. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Definitely subscribing to this. I eventually plan to turbo my LS1 further down the road when I get it all squared away.