How to remove upper and lower control arm bushings??

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Diefaster71, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Diefaster71

Diefaster71 Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Alright, dont have a press, and im new to this area so I dont have any lines on a car shop to help out. Any ideas you have heard of or personally tried on removing upper and lower control arm bushings on a 79 camaro???? Ive looked around on here and I have tried to search for things but nothing ever comes up, and I am sure this is not the first time this topic has come up, but I cant find it. I have the regular assorted tools, vice, and all that jazz, and no cutting torch, and the floor is open.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    In my experience I have learned to take them to a machine shop, let them press the old bushings out and press the new ones in. I screwed up a upper control arm once trying to drive them out with a air hammer.

3. Diefaster71

Diefaster71 Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Sounds like some good advice.... We have a auto craft center on Ft. Bragg, ill shoot by there tommarow and see if they have a press there that I can use. They usually have just about every tool you can think of, so I dont see why they wouldnt have one of those. You rent a bay and a lift for like 2 bucks an hour I think and you have free reign over everything and tool they have, they even have a paint booth you can use. So, looks like im going to have to give in.....

4. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've done it with hammer and drive pin but it takes a lot of beating and the risk of damaging em is high. This is one of them times its best to use the proper tools.

5. soco200p

soco200p Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Chicago burbs', Illinois
    I agree with above, these are one of the jobs it's best to let the pros do it.

6. Diefaster71

Diefaster71 Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Damn those pros!!!!!!!!!

7. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It doesn't take a pro so much as a little skill, knowledge and the proper tools.

8. 1970camaroRS

1970camaroRS Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Everett, WA
    Years ago when I did that, I took my new bushing down to a shop that specializes in suspension work. 10 minutes later I had new bushing installed and the old ones in their trash bin. It was free of cost since I made an apt. to bring my car in to be aligned by them when I was done.

9. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Alabama
    machine shop is the way to go imho....pay the little coin and let them press in the new stuff too

10. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    ...What ever you decide ,make sure you take a measurement of the arms where the bushings are , distance between , etc, just in case they get tweaked after bushing replacement, so they will fit back in the slots on the frame , just my.02, DC:bowtie: