How to test accessories off the car

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by coreynm, Mar 28, 2005.

1. coreynm

coreynm Member

Any ideas on how to test the wiper motor / heater blower motor while they're off the car? (They were both disconnected when I bought the car, and I'd like to know they work before I put them back on).

Thanks
    Corey

2. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

They take 12v right? just run a couple wires to em from a car battery.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've checked them out using a spare battery or a good battery charger. Just hook them up like the wiring diagrams show, and you will know if they work or not.
    A word of caution. If you hook up a wiper motor or a starter, or any other kind of motor, plant one foot solidly on it before hooking up the last wire, or when it works, you get to chase it across the floor.

4. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wiper motor: Ground the motor body, and the top contact of the 3. Supply 12V+ to the middle terminal. That's high speed. Keep power to those 2 and give ground to the bottom terminal. That's low speed.

Blower Motor: Ground the fan body, supply 12V+ to the one wire coming off. If the blower works, but then not off the car's wiring, pull the resistor pack that's on the AC suitcase and check if the resistors are blown (they're just springs so it's easy to tell).

Hope that helps.

5. coreynm

coreynm Member

Thanks all. Wasn't sure if the amperage draw would be too much for a battery charger to handle.

Good advise on having the motor firmly anchored _before_ powering it up.

6. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here's another tip; use a power supply from a computer (desktop). These will put out 12V at up to 10A, and give you multiple connections to test lots of stuff. I use one with some alligator clips on both ground and positive, and it works great. Best part was that it was free from an old PC.

7. LT1FUN

LT1FUN Veteran Member Gold Member

If you are using a car battery to use as a power supply to do any testing, make sure you use an inline fuse. The battery can feed an awful lot of current, in a very short time, to a shorted wiper motor or any other device you are testing.

8. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

yeah, you can use a computer PSU- if its a newer ATX model (any computer since mid 90s) then you'll need to connect the two wires on the big wide plug together- the green wire and any black wire. that'll basically turn the psu on when you plug it into the wall.

Don't know that I'd reccomend using the psu for motors and such- they tend to trip internal breakers when the amperage draw gets up near 10-20 amps on any single line.

lights and that sort of thing are fine.