humpback whale watching Bay of Fundy

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1978 Z/28, Sep 13, 2019.

1. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Member Gold Member

Went whale watching last Wednesday on Bay of Fundy, located between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick just north of Maine. Very nice day 70F. no wind or waves water temperature 55F. The difference between high and low tide is 43 ft. The water flow in a 12 hour tide cycle is 100 billion tones of water or more than twice the flow of all rivers in the world. The tide is so high that the St John River will flow backwards on the high tide. We saw 4 different humpback wales, blue heron, minke whale, seals and porpoises.
    IMG_4047a.jpg

IMG_4063.JPG IMG_4064.JPG IMG_4065.JPG IMG_4090.JPG IMG_4093.JPG

bodymanbill, pigboy's71 and TommyRS70 like this.
  2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great pictures. I've often wondered why whales come out of the water like that.

3. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Member Gold Member

I have heard reasons for jumping. Try to remove parasites, because it is fun, to communicate with other whales. Or nobody really knows. But it is fun to watch.
    When I came home that night found 2 sets of pink convict fry in my 55 gallons fish tank. Both parents will defend the fry, they will attack any fish no matter the size or my hand. Here are the 2 males getting ready to fight to protect young

pink.jpg

IMG_4190.JPG

4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

That’s awesome. We went to Maui last January and went on one of the Pacific Whale Foundations tours seeing very similar humpback whales breaching. We are going there again next January and planning the same tour again