hurt block pic's inside

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by cutty, Jul 12, 2012.

1. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

is this worth taking in to have tested? damage is a bottom of cylinders, ive included pic's, oh ya block is a 509, 400 30 over, heres the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Use something like a stiff wire or long tie strap to see how far down the water jacket extends. If I remember correctly everything below the cam tunnel is solid. Depending on how much piston skirt is hanging down will determine the course of action. In so far as what you can do,you can just chamfer the bottom of the bores,and the block will be fine. If the skirts are margianlly supported,you will have some excellerated skirt wear on the average bracket or hot street engine,if you are running some kind of high boost/nitrous engine you could have more serious problems with skirt breakage if the skirts are coming out too far. In a daily driver engine it will shorten piston life and eventually cause a cluck in the bottom end. I wouldnt sleeve a 400 block,especially since even if you sleeved the 1 or 2 worst cylinders,the others arent any prize either. If the water jacket test turns out o.k.,it is all a matter of how much piston skirt is hanging out. a 3.50 or 3.75" crank with long rods probably wont have much hanging out. A 4" crank with a little shorter rods will probably cause problems in at least a few of those holes. I think there is still some use for this block if it doesnt leak.

3. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In that first pic are those cracks going into the lifter bores or just casting? I would think if those were cracks the integrity of that block is shot.

4. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

That was my thought, especially on the first pic. The missing bore material would be the lesser of my concerns with the pics.

5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

I have seen a lot of lines like that in the casting of the cam tunnel.

6. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How much do good 400 used blocks sell for anyway? Are they even out there if you went searching to find another one?

7. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

according to the machinest that came to look at it, he said that was just the casting, and that as long as there isnt any cracks he'll fix up the bottoms,,i was gonna destroke it at first, but now leaning to going with a aftermarket crank and 6 inch rods,its now in getting tested, i dont remeber what its called, but i know the block had been half filled with something

8. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

some gay reason, people up here thing they are gold,