i finally made up my mind! (200R4 swap)

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by willem, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had mine shipped to Canada and Chris helped me out on it. Ordered on Wednesday and it was there Friday.

It was not a project I wanted to take on. I’d rather have it built by someone who knows what they are doing so I can just install it myself, adjust the TV cable and drive it.

2. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

another name to put in the hat if you can't hook up with Chris ..is Lonnie at Extreme
    http://extremeautomatics.com/th2004R.php

fwiw.... there are really only 2 holdbacks for the install.
    TV cable to YOUR carb (i had to make mine since I fuel injected mine)
    re-drilling the frame (PITA) but with the car assembled.

4. willem

willem Veteran Member

ok thanks but what is so painful about that drilling? i cant see it before me yet.
    that or a custom made crossmember that ll fit the current holes

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

you first must drill a (iirc) 1 1/4 hole thru the BOTTOM side of the frame rail.( this doesn't have ot be perfect...just close as it will give you access to drill the "real holes")...this gives you access to the "top" side again IIRC you are looking to relocate ABOUT 6.5".....Kinda hard to measure when you can't get to the same surface ..but I do have a tip for that ;)
    using a piece of 1/4 thick x 1" wide x 12" long "bracket material" aka flat stock .... remove your crossmember ...clamp flat stock to it STRAIGHT.... and using your crossmember transfer the mounting holes into flatstock DRILL ON SIZE...not clearance size holes. ...then measure X distance from 1 hole....mark it.... drill 1 mounting hole (3/8"...IIRC) AGAIN ..ON SIZE not oversize! NOW...line up your new hole on crossmember and drill last hole... whew.... your just getting started....lol
    insert the flat stock INTO the framerail.....BOLT it in ..... you should now be able to line it up and using it as a guide.... drill 1 new hole into the TOP of your frame rail..DONT DRILL THRU YOUR FLOOR!!! (you can cut a piece of pipe and put over the drill bit to use as a stop ;) )....install bolt...drill last hole... only way i found to transfer holes INSIDE the frame since my frame connectors are welded in..

see told ya no problem!!

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  6. willem

willem Veteran Member

nice write-up ^ and good tip, thanks
    by now (reading the 4L60E install manuals) i had understood how much of a pita the drilling can be (even though the manuals claim to have all distance sizes for drilling pointed out)

7. willem

willem Veteran Member

yeah....and my mind switched right back to a freshly all-rebuilt Muncie M21
    got it back today (will write up a thread about it)
    i figured if i don't have the dough for a full modern manual swap, i might as well do the low cost swap and change up in the future... those muncies keep high value over here..so i won't lose out too much (the m21 swap was about the same cost as a 200R4 would have been)

8. Grady Farrer

Grady Farrer New Member

"Made up my mind"

Should change the thread name lol

9. willem

willem Veteran Member

sometimes things change in life , i dont have any problem with that nor does it form an issue. in this case, that change was for the better from my perspective