I hate electrical....

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Thrust!, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Thrust!

Thrust! New Member

Hey guys!

I am wiring this car up after a few months of it sitting around and its been nothing short of a disaster. I bought a new American Autowire harness set, and I cant seem to get this stuff right.

Lets start with the blinker. Its fine when the headlights aren't on, but when I do switch them on, I get nothing from the driver side. The passenger side works fine as far as I can tell.

My motor is testing + with my test light. I have it ground to the battery and the fire wall. There is also a ground on the headlights, tail lights, and interior harness. I do not see a burned up wire anywhere. I pulled the fancy aftermarket gauges I had (which didn't work) and installed a refurbished 150mph set (that doesn't work).

I had wires running here and there for the radio and some other things, but pulled it all out before messing with it this week. I honestly think its going to be something minor that I am just over looking, but its driving me crazy.

Any suggestions?

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Ensure all your grounds are good, they can seem fine but fail under load. Use a meter, and look for zero volts at your grounds, with power on the circuits in question. If you see anything above zero, you don't have a good ground. Poor grounds are very common and cause quite a few strange problems. Clean paint from the points where grounds attach to the block, and use ground washers at a minimum on body mounted grounds. Check the grounds at the wire and at the crimped connectors. The crimps can be insufficient and not allow enough current to pass through.

3. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

It sounds like you have the 2 wires switched for the turn signal bulb. The turn signal should go to the shorter filiment in the bulb, but just swap the 2 wires at the connector.
    The rest of the problems, not sure what you are doing. The speedo is mechanical, it needs a cable attached to it.

4. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

When I was tinkering with my (1980) electrical I found this, www.classiccarwiring.com. It's a color print of the circuits spread over 3 sides of 11x 17 laminated paper. Made the chase much easier. Money well spent.

Cardinal likes this.
  5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

phat80 hit the nail on the head: wiring diagrams are your friend! I make a copies of the wiring diagrams from the manuals, tape the pages together, and then use coloring pencils to trace out individual circuits!

6. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just bought these! For $18 great deal.