I Need New Friends

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 1980RS, Nov 29, 2019.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

So, I was pumped up to have some of my heads tested Sat. until I texted my stocker friend and asked how many heads I should bring. The reply was as many as you want to pay for, I was like WHAT?. A month ago it was bring a lot of heads so we can test and at that time I asked what's this going to cost? he told me "don't worry about it". So I did ask how much is he going to charge, it turned out to be $75 a port, YIKES! I thought. I can get the SBC ones done for $40 for 2 ports at another shop which is now going to happen, so it looks like this is the 2nd time this year it has happened to me. I know it's not his fault but it seems like I am doing stuff to help out someone local to make a bunch of HP when they need it but when it comes to my stuff I feel like I am a second class racer at this point in time. So I will suck it up but next year the HP loan out of parts to test may not be there for others. I do hope he gets his PP engine out next year as I really really want to beat that car now. Sorry about the rant.

2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

That sucks, sorry to hear...

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Wow, very short memory. Over the years I've had it happen many times. I guess you are supposed to be there for them, but it's OK if they burn bridges on you. Really makes you reevaluate that "friend" list.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I get that. I lend my little flux core and auto dark helmet out to my Buddy. Keeps it for months. One day he brings it back. No helmet? That was more than a year ago. Still don't have it back.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

One thing I've learned over the years is to just let things like that go. Focus your energy into positive things for yourself and the good people in your life. Karma takes care of people who shaft their friends. I totally get it when someone has a business; they aren't there to provide charity, but if you had a hand in helping him set up, I'm sure a discount arrangement as a compromise would have been better than trying to empty your wallet in one night.

Smokey15 likes this.
  6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

I had an experience like that with a friend/shop that came over, looked at my Z, gave an estimate and a timeline. Time came and went over a year. I asked him about my car a few times and he said he really wanted to do it. Other projects came and went. I gave up and started looking again after wasting a year. BTW, I did notice there were a couple cars the having 'birthday parties' so maybe a good thing mine never was started.

7. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER
    Loan tools to "friends".
    Loaned eng. Hoist to dude.
    He left it outside in rain(was new)
    Looks 30yrs old now

Loaned out great jack stands(fairly new).
    When they came back were not the ones loaned out. Old rusty and different kind!

So never loan tools! Leave that to AZ.
    I moved and have a huge shop now. Ghosted all so none know I have plenty of room for working and storing cars as well as most tools ever needed.

Smokey15 likes this.
  8. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

/\/\/\ I can totally get that.

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

I have actually had strangers come in and want to borrow tools. When someone asks me to borrow a tool I point at a sign on the inside of my tool box lid that says "I make my living with Snap-On tools. Please don't ask me to borrow them". I make exceptions, but it's to my own discretion.
    Years ago I lent a chain saw to what I thought was a friend. Two years later I called him to get it back, and he said "Yours burned up, but you can BORROW mine. Guess what I did...

Smokey15 likes this.
  10. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would have reminded him of the conversation , and said I am bringing a bunch!! And I am not going to worry about it, HAA HA