I purchased the OER RS conversion kit.. it sucks... alternatives I have found.

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jkhall, Mar 23, 2018.

1. jkhall

jkhall Member

I purchased the OER RS front conversion kit on the same day I joined this site. I was dumb, I should never have purchased it. Aftermarket sheet metal sucks, I know. OER is the worst of the aftermarket sheet metal that I have ever seen. and their RS is the worst of their worst IMO.

This is not a race car, it will be my daily driver. I do have an LS2 in it with 4 speed.

That being said, I am at the point where I may change course and not use the OER at all.

I am exploring the fiberglass options.

First Option. what I am leaning towards.
    https://anvilauto.com/products/camaro-70-81/70-73-rs-nose-piece.html

This looks real good. @ $1000 for fiberglass and $1499 for Carbon Fiber the price is up there but if it fits the price is worth it to me. What do you all think?

Second option.
    http://up22.com/camaro70.htm
    Up22 has Fender, nose, upper and lower valance,hood, and they say will all line up. I am told they use the mold from the 1 piece complete front to create the separate pieces. Would I drop a lot of weight and potentially all lines up well? this s the most expensive option. I hear people say Unlimited products suck.. so this scares me.

Third option.

Keep banging metal and screaming. I have to replace the nose, no matter what. Its not even wide or tall enough and the angle degree is off to fit the opening in the upper and lower valance. Could get fiberglass replacement nose at customworks performance.

Here is what it currently looks like.
    when held tight reflecting the side picture its center. does not fit... also when thats flush left to right, I took a top pic.. showing the gap in the middle.

Attached Files:

2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

OER stuff is ALL crap. Supposed to be licensed by GM for "original" reproduction. BS! The junk never fits correctly. I made the mistake of buying that crap as well. I can't understand how, with the original specs and, sometimes the GM molds, how they can put out such ill fitting scrap.

3. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

I found a NOS Nose for my RS and it was very expensive because the aftermarket stuff is so bad.

4. jkhall

jkhall Member

Agreed. They should be shut down or loose their GM reproduction certifications.

Smokey15 likes this.
  5. jkhall

jkhall Member

can you provide a link?

6. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I really like that nose from Custom Works. You'd never have to worry about the chrome surround pitting. Reasonable price, too.

7. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Looks to me like you have the standard header panel and trying to put a RS nose on it.

8. jkhall

jkhall Member

Keep looking... I'll wait. :)

Attached Files:

Smokey15, 70-camaro and Chevrolaine like this.
  9. jkhall

jkhall Member

I agree that is an advantage. But then again there are other alternatives (blacking out the chrome being that all my trim will be black). I am really leaning towards anvil auto's 73 RS nose. it incorporates the upper with the nose cone in a fiberglass offering. its $1000 but 'if' it fits well between the fenders and matches up right with the lower valance then I think its a win.

10. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

That's the part I worry about. Especially getting a good fit with the lower valance. I would look at their return policy and make sure whatever it is, it's in writing. Paying to ship that thing back would suck and a restocking fee would make it worse.