I purchased the OER RS conversion kit.. it sucks... alternatives I have found.

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jkhall, Mar 23, 2018.

1. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

The white is original NOS GM and the grey is OER. IMG_1935.JPG IMG_1936.JPG

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  2. jkhall

jkhall Member

Yes it was a complete kit, upper and lower valances, support braces, bumpers, nose cone, etc. None of them lined up to the others. I got the upper and lower to finaly bang and bend into place with minor cut and weld. Its just pathetic. The upper valance was 1/2 in to wide. I could go on and on. worst sheet metal I ever saw.

I can at least work with fiberglass and add or take off space relatively fast and easily compare to metal work. And those that would not run fiberglass body parts i am perplexed. there exotic cars that are raced over 180MPH that are fiberglass with metal braces inside just like the fiberglass fenders and front pieces you can get for the camaro. Hell the Corvette for the longest time had been fiberglass as well. To each their own but reinforced fiberglass body parts have been part of the automotive world for 80yrs now. Is it the best way for everything, no. but Steel is not the best way for 'everything' either.

3. jkhall

jkhall Member

Exactly. in your pic I see how the grey OER stands higher than the factory white one. I keep wondering if I heat up the OER Polly nose if I can form it correctly.

4. jkhall

jkhall Member

have you thought about getting a 3d model image of it made? then I could take it to a 3d builder and have one made with real specs.

5. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Thought about it, probably won't do it. I don't have a problem with the strength of fiberglass, I just don't like the looks of it on a early second gen.

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Box1.Label..JPG RSNose.RightBottomCorner.NOS.70.73Camaro.jpg RSNose1.BottomCenter.NOS.70.73Camaro.jpg RSNose2.LeftBottomCorner.NOS.70.73Camaro.jpg RSNose3.RearViewBottomCenter.NOS.70.73Camaro.jpg RSNose4.RearViewLeft.NOS.70.73Camaro.jpg RSNose5.RearViewRight.NOS.70.73Camaro.jpg

7. jkhall

jkhall Member

8. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

You say the header panel, upper valance, was 1/2" too wide. What was the measurement? And do you know what the OE measurement should be??
    I'm having problems aligning a total repop RS front clip. The fenders & hood are Goodmark and everything else is pretty much OER.
    I think my OER header is too wide causing my fenders to pinch the hood at the windshield.
    AND, I totally agree that OER sheet metal is junk.

9. jkhall

jkhall Member

I dont know the width it should be... but I do know there is an extra 1/4 inch gap between fender and hood on both sides at the header causing an unsightly front end. :(

10. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Flexible material can be added to the "new" nose or to an old one.
    I added 1/2 inch to a OER repro urethane front bumper for a 69 Camaro using 3M automix flexible repair material - I also did deformation stress tests bending the added area against itself to ensure a reliable and DURABLE finished product.
    1. clean the OER product extremely well using wax oil grease remover
    2. Use a rasp file to rough up the area which you are going to build up. _
    3. Clean again,
    4. Use some masking tape to build a "dam" in the area you wish to build up,
    5. Automix repair and layer it until the damaged area is raised, then file and and smooth...
    6. File
    7. check
    8. Fill
    After getting the areas filled shaped smoothed, then prime with Spies Hecker flexible parts primer and shoot your clear with a flex additive.