I will NEVER purchase anything from Moser again!

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by SS Performance, Feb 14, 2020 at 2:44 PM.

1. SS Performance

SS Performance Veteran Member

After I purchased my 70 I wanted to upgrade to a 12 bolt. Original 12 bolt were a bit pricey so I decided to get a Moser 12 bolt. Just to be clear I have used Moser products before and I was a Moser dealer when I had a shop. I ordered a 12 bolt with 35 spline axels, 3.73 gears, Wavetrac carrier and axel retainer bearings.

Due to health issues the project was delayed. Finally last November I started trying to install the rear.

First thing we noticed was there was grit in the axel tubes. This sucked since the carrier was installed by Moser. I raised one end of the housing and carefully washed out the tube then raised the other end and did the same.

I got around to sliding the axels in, don't know why they didn't install them at Moser, the passenger side went in OK but the driver side wouldn't go in. It sounded like it was bottoming out.

I contacted Moser and they said I should tap it in with a mallet. I wasn't real comfortable with this but did it any way. No luck. Another call to Moser and was told to use the axle retainer plates to pull the axels in. Again I wasn't comfortable with this but did it any way. No luck The axel is still about 1/4 inch too far out.

By now it Christmas and they are shut down.

So I decided to pull the carrier, I really didn't want to do this since it was already set up but I felt I didn't have any choice. So after pulling the carrier I installed the axels and measured from the axel end to the tube end 3-15/16". I put the carrier and shims on the bench and measured the depth, 3-3/4"! The axel was 3/16" to long and was bottoming out. Just like I thought.

So I took the axel to a local machine shop and had it shortened by 7/16", I wanted a little extra room just in case.

I just called Moser with all this and all they said is they would make some notes in on my invoice. That's it! They didn't even ask me for my name or telephone number. (I purchased the rear thru a dealer not directly. So it's obvious they have no desire to get back to me or do anything to make it right.

I'm very saddened about all this. Like I said earlier I was a Moser dealer back in the day and met and talked to Greg Moser many times, he would be very distressed about the lack of support.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would call Greg if he is still living so he can fire some azzes.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

This is surprising to me. I have dealt with them on a few occasions and they were very helpful and courteous. A friend mentioned yesterday that good customer service is a thing of the past. Maybe he's right.

4. SS Performance

Sadly Greg died in 2003.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

How long was the project delayed?
    As much as I feel for you; if this rear end has been sitting for years I kind of get why Moser is not being super helpful.

6. SS Performance

About 3 years. My issue is only partially the lack of support. It's receiving a less than satisfactory product and being given questionable advice on how to install the axels. They also would not tell me how long the axel was suppose to be. That is why I had to pull the carrier. And the last call the goys tone was that he simply didn't care, no apology, just I'll make some notes. Good customer services would have at least asked for my name and number.

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I would write a letter to the company. Not an e-mail; a real old-fashioned letter. Tell them about yourself and the health issue, the delay, the issue with the 12 bolt, etc. Make it clear that the point of your letter is the lack of customer service, not that you want a replacement or some freebie. Tell them that as a former dealer of their product, you feel as though the customer service was catastophic and that they should know. Ask them to call you back to discuss. If they care, they'll call you. If they don't, then you have your answer and perhaps they're not the same company they used to be.

After they call or if they don't, I would move on and try not to let it eat at you. Sounds like you fixed the issue. If you're happy with the fix and the performance of the 12 bolt, then that should help. If not, tear that piece of sh*t out of there, sell it, and get something else. It's not worth souring you on your car as whole. Good luck.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  8. SS Performance

I am up set about the lack of customer support. However I am more up set about spending my hard earned money for a complete rear that I am then required to tear apart and modify. I purchased something that should have been simple and only taken a few hours to install. I got something that was NOT ready to install and required me to spend time, energy and money to fix. I didn't have one issue but several issues. Because of these delays I am not sure if I will have the car back together for the spring.

My hope is that the poor advise I received from Moser didn't result in damage to the carrier.

I started this post to warn others to be cautious when thinking about ordering from Moser.

I will now return to my shop and continue with the other mods and hope they are more trouble free.

Thanks
    Craig

dave@ztech and hubedobeedo like this.
  9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

There is nothing more frustrating than dealing with issues with brand new parts, however...Can you see the flaw here? Moser sells 12 bolts in 2 different ways, Complete ready to install and one that requires "minor assembly" which is what I think you got. Where you went wrong was proceeding to fix any suspected issues yourself. As soon as you discovered issues, the right thing to do was call MOSER. Accomplish some of the minor troubleshooting and worst case "that didn't work" you call them back. You absolutely DO NOT pull the carrier out, start cutting axles etc. It's my opinion you shouldn't in no way expect MOSER to pick up the pieces after that.
    I has a issue with my 3rd member (gear noise) about 3 years ago I want to say, I called in and got just crappy troubleshooting tasks over and over from Brian Miles. After so long I was fed up and called them back...Yup Brian moved out of the department or really probably fired. When I called back I spoke to Colton Bartlett and he was extremely helpful. He set up a return to have my 3rd member inspected and if it was flawed they would fix it for free. If it wasn't, they would swap the gear at my cost with labor covered by Moser. In the end, I got a quite 3rd member back. Fast forward I got a full floater axle shaft I suspected to be defective. Again they paid to get it back, inspected it and called me and said it was all good and sending it back. This was all within the last 8 months. I felt like they approached this so well, I felt compelled to send them a thank you note.

On the other foot, had I taken my 3rd member apart or decided to grind or cut my axle shaft...How could they have determined they messed it up or me? Colton told me he talks to so many customers a day...I can see why they just don't do everything every customer wants.

Again, I'm sorry about your experience but I'm going to counter your warning about Moser...I trust them to go back. You unfortunately helped set this into a bad situation.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  10. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

after 3 years?

I'd have hung up on you