Idea for a backyard paint booth??

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by KEVS79, Jun 5, 2014.

1. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Now you guys have me reconsidering. I have a 6ft privacy fence and a few trees so maybe a 30.00 big tarp from harbor freight and some rope. String it from the fence to the trees. It will protect it from the falling junk from the trees and CHEAP. Kind of a lean to higher at the trees and down to 6ft at the fence.

2. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

yup that'll work and cut down on the bright sun allowing you to actually see better..........make sure the center doesn't sag too much and if using legs, try to keep them out of the way of your path of spraying technique/travel so theres no obstruction for your or your hose.........

3. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Yep, no legs since might string from trees/deck/fence/kids swing. I am going to set up some sort of light set up w/some florescent lights and a couple dolly's so I can move them around as I paint. Might even try hanging some from a rope under the tarp also.

4. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

If the tent you were looking at is only $107 shipped, buy 2 now you have a 20x30 for only around $220.

5. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

I am not sure why I am worrying so much about this really. I am almost positive I am going to have to cut and buff anyway due to my inexperience in painting, so a little dirt or bugs are going to get wet sanded out anyway. I figure the tarp will prevent the big stuff from falling on it.

6. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

I would plan to cut and buff regardless. It really make a paint job. I do everything I paint. If spot painting on a car usually the panels I paint look better than the factory paint on the rest of the car.

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

8. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

OK. here is what I ended up doing. 20x15 tarp from harbor freight, some string and some 2x4's to go along the top of the fence. About 30.00 worth of stuff and I can reuse most of it for other things. Oh and my portable light. I am going to spray some primer this weekend so will give it a good test run.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am interested in seeing how that works for you. Maybe I should think about trying to paint my car myself, seeing what people are managing to achieve in less than ideal conditions

10. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Another tarp that size tied to the outer eyelets of that tarp and you will have almost a enclosed area. Just be cautious of rain puddling on the roof. You would not believe how much a little water weighs. I was working on a honda accord I had just painted and had the hood propped open with the prop rod. It started pouring rain and when I came out afterwards the hood was bent in half where water had puddled in the tarp and sagged down. It was so heavy I could not move the tarp to empty it out. Had to buy a new hood and paint it for free. Lesson learned.