Ideas for next daily driver???

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by BLUE72CAMARO, Oct 19, 2015.

1. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So been driving an 02 Camaro SS for a daily driver for going on 3 years now. I enjoy the car but its not the most practical daily car living out in the sticks and especially in bad weather. Hadnt really been thinking about selling it as I do enjoy driving it. But a guy at work has started hounding me to sell it to him. My answer was always everything is for sale for the right price and he wouldnt make an offer on it. Last week he finally made an offer that is a touch low but in the ball park. He left in my lap to let him know what I would take if it is close to the number he shot me...

So I have been thinking about cutting loose of it provided I could get another $500-$1k or so out of him. The car has some maintenance coming up (struts, ball joints, and end links) and it needs a new set of hides on the back. So $1k worth of parts that I wouldnt have to buy is a little appealing but the big issue is what would I buy to replace it???

While I have enjoyed the performance I am shocked I havent gotten a huge ticket in the car. It is way to easy to be in the triple digits without thinking about it to hard. Also been lucky to not tear it up since I have slid it in the ditch twice. Once on ice and the other time I hydroplaned on a backroad that was as slick as ice because all the gravel was gone from the surface leaving just oil and slick as ice when wet.

So anyone have any ideas? Price needs to be around $10k and capable of at least mid 20s mpg with mixed driving.

2. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you want bang for the buck...BUICK's. America's best made car. Readily available with low mileage at giveaway prices. Only older people buy 'em. They always buy new. They don't drive much and the they do their maintenance. Pick up a smooth driving LeSabre with under 30K for $3-4K.

4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I agree with the Buick idea. I bought an older one recently from an estate probating. Yes, it needs some work but I got it for a work car. It's a sort of beige color, the left rear and right front doors are bashed in, the left turn signal has to be canceled by hand or I drive down the road with my left turn signal flashing and so on. However, it is more comfortable than anything else I have, gets decent fuel mileage, has new tires all around and has plenty of get up and go.

I've also got a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4, a '97 Ford F250HD with the 7.3 turbo diesel and a 1987 BMW 325i convertible. All three run good. The trucks are constantly getting cut off in traffic. Since I've had the Buick, it hasn't been cut off once. Add in I wear bib overalls to work and have a grey beard, I think the bashed in doors deters idiots on the road. Would I buy a newer one? In a heart beat, if I didn't have a full driveway.

5. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

Out of curiosity, what are you letting it go for?

I've been looking for a 4th gen LS1 Trans Am WS6 or Camaro SS. They seem to be going down in price a bit recently and I'd love to pick one up!

6. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

I also put in a vote for an older Buick. Make sure its of the 3800 variety. Those engines are damn near bulletproof.

7. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I sold my 02 Z28 LS6 a couple years back. Since then, I bought it back for half value and sold it again 3 months ago for $10,5.

8. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Silverado with leather. You'll never buy another car.

9. Bumpad_Z28

Bumpad_Z28 Veteran Member

My girlfriend daily drives a '99 Formy, and says she can't really go backwards in performance for her next daily ... so we have been glancing at C5 corvettes ! ... the dogs should fit in the "hatch" nicely ! lol

[​IMG]

~DaVe

10. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd even consider one of the 3800 powered Pontiac Bonnevilles in that category. They typically aren't ragged on from what I've seen, and they can be had for pretty cheap. Some of the later ones got the Northstar, but I'd take an L67 Bonnie any day over the Northstar, just because of parts availability and potential.