I'm ready to surrender to the LS world!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by dougs79Z28, May 29, 2012.

1. dougs79Z28

dougs79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Everyone tells me I'll be glad I did. Currently I can't really drive my car anymore. The 350 has a bad knock deep and oil pressure light flickering at idle and Super T10 is leaking oit out the tail. I always loved my qjet and the sound of back butterfly's opening up. Guess I'll get over that- but do want to use a carb set up. So, been reading many threads and here is my "initial" plan. Get a complete LQ9 out of an 05 Escalade and get it in and running with no changes except intake and carb. Intake? Not sure...some say dual plane Edelbrock and others say GM cathedral. Transmission? Well...not sure but looking into a built 200r4 from Jake. I am wanting to swap to the stock shifter for the 79z and use the Shiftworks set up for the overdrive transmission. I like the 2.74 first gear of the 200r4 and OD ratio with my 373 rear.
    Use will be weekend fun car with very rare run down the track just to see what it runs.
    Am I on the right path? I don't have anything yet- looking at LQ9's on ebay for 2k. I have an old 302DZ engine that I will probably trade out on all the labor setup with a local shop so that will help.
    Thanks for comments and advise. /Doug

2. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Everybody is doing it seems like. There are a couple books out there I recall seeing on the subject. I suggest buying the books and research the idea and put a plan and budget on paper before you make the final decision. You might end up deciding to keep it conventional and freshen it up.

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

$2,000 can get you the new(er) and improved LY6 6.0L truck engine with the much better L92 heads that flow 320cfm out of the box.

Go on www.car-part.com and look.
    I just picked up a complete one with ~60K iirc, accessories, harness, and ECM for $2150 last season.

You'll need to use this to know which trucks to look for which engines.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#Generation_III_3

As for what transmission, that depends on what your intent for the car is.
    If it's drag racing, get a built trans. If it's just for pro-touring and cruising, any modern OD trans is fine.
    The 4L60e's are a dime a dozen and cheap.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. Aceshigh

uh......no.
    1970 was GROSS HP of an engine with no accessory's on it, headers, and with perfect condition's.

These truck engines are the SAE Net HP ratings. Used since 1972, so obviously you have to know this.
    This is what the engine makes IN the engine bay with all accessories on it.

You take the Accessories off the 345hp LQ9 and put headers on it, perfect conditions it's going
    to probably put 400-420hp out of it in the Gross HP scale.

6. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just LOVE to spin this up whenever I get the chance! :D

The 1969-1970 motors produced by Detroit were high-octane screamers...high HP but more importantly, high torque.

Insurance and safety concerns dialed the numbers down in the books and since racing used factory performance numbers, the lower they were, the better the classification for the car. Sneaky, but all's fair in love, war and racing!

I completely understand the SAE change in 1972 and the current ratings on modern motors.

I just have a hard time swallowing...no, I won't swallow the fact a modern truck motor of the same displacement is incredibly more powerful than the 1970 Z28 motor...maybe a bit more since it can operate efficiently on lower octane fuel, but that's about as far as I will go.

If the technology change in motor advancement were compared to that of computer technology, the motor has barely changed since the invention of the modern OV V8. And my old motor will still operate if the big EMP in the sky ever happens. :)

Back to the OP's point...any cheap, modern motor is a suitable replacement for an old, tired, 70's engine. If I was having his dilemma, I'd follow your suggestion for the motor replacement as well. :bowtie:

7. Aceshigh

Sounds like a personal problem there for the SP section. :crazy:

Sorry, but the 40 year old 1970 LT-1 is about as powerful as the the 1992 LT-1 of 20 years ago.

In fact, I read on the Vette forums, that GM tested them both side by side and the 1970 LT-1 made 295 SAE Net hp.
    Which was 5hp less then the 1992 Corvette's LT-1.

In fact, it's LESS powerful then the 5.3L that you see in most Tahoe's for the past decade. :)

8. dougs79Z28

dougs79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks Aces. I'll check out that site.

9. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great info. SAE or Gross...

10. Jones20992

Jones20992 Member

Dont forget the gen III/IV motors are shorter so look for 1 inch setback mounts

Also the ignition controller packaged with the edelbrock manifold is a rebranded msd but is not fully adjustable it only has a few preset maps also the 6ls is for the older ls motors and the 6ls-2 is for the newer ones be sure to count the timing teeth befor ordering your ignition controller