Impala help please.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Mar 28, 2019.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

The more I drive this '04 Impala, the more I like it. My poor Escalade just sits anymore. I've got a couple of things I'm chasing down that are problematic. The horn doesn't work and I'm having trouble tracing the problem as I can't reach the fuse block to check for power and hit the horn switch inside. I put a known good relay in the relay panel and tested the horns themselves. It might be the clock spring but my cruise control works. When I lock or unlock, the horn is supposed to chirp and doesn't.

The most aggravating issue is with the sun roof. It sticks opening and closing. It seems to work better is cold weather. Would lubricating it help? It feels like the motors shut off when they sense something hanging.

Even with my lead foot, I'm getting 25+ mpg. Big enough to be comfortable and small enough to be nimble.

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am sure the guys over at the appropriate Impala forum have the sunroof answer and probably the horn too.....

Maybe someone here can help but there are a bunch of impala nuts somewhere just like the nuts here....

3. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

Sunroofs are a pain in the butt. I'll take a good old solid roof line myself!!!!

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 2000 Impala LS.
    Bought it almost 7 years ago and it's been a very good vehicle. (Tires, brakes, a blower motor and radiator is all I've replaced.)

I've never had any problem with the sunroof.

If the horn doesn't chirp when you hit the alarm button on the key fob, it may very well be a problem with the horn.
    (I believe it's a setting for it to honk with the lock/unlock function. Mine just flashes the headlights for lock/unlock the way it is set.)

5. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

I don't have an Impala, but I have two Grand Prixs. A '99 GTP and an '05 GT2. I think they all have the Webasto sunroof. First thing I would suggest is get some white lithium grease in a can (the old Lubriplate) and spray the slides under the sunroof. If it's never been done it needs it.

Second IF it moves better use Westleys Bleche Wite to clean the sunroof gasket and then use Silicone spray on the gasket. Spray it on a rag and wipe it on. I wax the metal roof it seats into with Zymoil.

Do NOT try to adjust the limit switches just yet! I also snake the sunroof drains with some old weed trimmer line and squirt a little WD40 in them.

Now another thing. If you plan to keep the car as long as I've kept mine look in the owners manual and order the HELM Service Manual. Ain't cheap but pays for itself many times over!

The owners manual can tell you how to set up the horns and door locks. If the car battery has been replaced it might have lost it's programming. Same with the keyfobs… BTDT. The car should relearn the ECM/BCM and everything if it has been driven...

If the steering wheel controls still work it isn't the clock spring.

See if you get any progress and post back!

6. ol' grouch

Over at the Tahoe forum, I had someone mention the ground at the BCM under the air box. I need to clean the throttle body and replace that crappy oiled filter anyway so it'll come out when I can get to it. The cruise is the first thing I checked for the clock spring. The horn is good. I looked for an Impala forum and found several. Some seem decent and some seem like a GM truck forum I found. When I caught flack about torquing down lug nuts (I was told to just hammer them tight with an impact wrench) I didn't go back.

One thing about this forum, I may not have a Camaro right now but overall, people here are decent and not too many trolls living in their parents basement.

7. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Light and Sound Options Your RKE transmitter can be programmed in a variety of ways, including the programming of exterior light flashes and horn chirps when locking and unlocking your vehicle.

To program these features, follow these procedures:
    1. Turn the ignition to ACC or ON. The radio must be off.
    2. Press and hold the TUNE or DISP button on the radio for at least five seconds until SETTINGS is displayed.
    3. Press the SEEK and PSCAN up or down arrows to scroll through each available feature on your main menu.
    4. Press the PREV or NEXT button to scroll through the lower menu. An asterisk (*) will appear next to the item that is the current setting.

Transmitter Verification (Light) This feature allows the exterior lights to flash when the RKE transmitter is used to lock or unlock the vehicle. Programmable Modes Mode
    1: OFF — Turns feature off. Mode
    2: ON — One flash for each remote lock/two flashes for each remote unlock.
    (Your vehicle was programmed to Mode 2 at the factory.)

To program the FOB LIGHT to a different mode, do the following:
    1. Scroll using the SEEK/PSCAN up or down arrow, until FOB LIGHT appears on the display
    2. Press the PREV or NEXT button to enter the submenu. The current selection will have an asterisk (*) next to it.
    3. Scroll, using the PREV or NEXT button, through the modes to change the current mode.
    4. With your preference displayed, press the TUNE/DISP button to select. A chime will be heard to verify the new setting. The mode you selected is now set. You can either exit the programming mode or program the next feature available on your vehicle.

Transmitter Verification (Horn) This feature allows the horn to chirp when the RKE transmitter is used to lock or unlock the vehicle. Programmable Modes Mode
    1: OFF — Turns feature off. Mode
    2: PARTIAL — One chirp for each remote lock command/no chirp for remote unlock command. Mode
    3: FULL — One chirp for each remote lock command/two chirps for the first remote unlock command.
    (Your vehicle was programmed to Mode 1 at the factory.) To choose a different FOB HORN mode, follow steps 1–4 (shown above) under Transmitter Verification (Light).

from your owners manual

8. ol' grouch

Actually, I programmed a new fob and it works fine. The horn doesn't chirp though. I've bumped the panic button by mistake and the lights would flash but no horn. I know the horns are good, I wired them direct. They just don't get power.

9. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The horn relay should have 4 terminals, labeled 85, 86, 87 & 30.

Of the 4, terminals 87 & 30 are the ones that take power from the fuse to the horn, so if you were to jump the 87 & 30 cavities in the relay box, the horns should beep. If they don't beep when jumped, correct that problem and then move on..... if they beep, keep reading.

Terminals 85 & 86 are the ones that close the relay, enabling power to flow between 87 & 30. So, if you were to probe cavities 85 & 86, you'll find one will have battery voltage and the other provides ground when the horn button is pushed. Figure out which you're missing and go from there.

10. ol' grouch

I have trouble getting someone to help. I don't see the GF too often and she always has plans for us. I'll make up some long wires and a light to see if I can get power.