Importing USA to France?

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by teljoy, Jun 13, 2018.

1. teljoy

teljoy New Member

I'm thinking of buying a car in the USA and shipping it to France, but I'm unsure on the whole process. Does anyone have any relevant experience or can tell me if it's as easy as some companies say?

I already got a quote from the seller themselves and from an actual shipping company.

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Get someone you know and trust to look at the car first before any money moves. Make absolutely certain the car is as advertised. Depending on what state you buy the car in, you'll need the title and three copies. One for U.S. Customs, one for French Customs and one for the shipper. It MUST have a clean title. There's a huge black market in stolen cars and they watch like hawks. The laws change from time to time and it's been a few years since I shipped a car overseas. You won't have to change much I don't think. Except for putting yellow headlights in it, I think a car built to U.S. specs. will be road legal in France. Be sure to check with the French Customs Department as part of your research.

Once the car is certified to be what it is advertised as, the shipping and Customs forms are filled out, it isn't bad. Just make sure the car is as good as advertised. I got bit BIG time once when a car I shipped had a bent frame. Rust will be the big problem if you get a Camaro as it's a unit body car.

Zstar likes this.
  3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Where is it located?

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I sold a car to a guy in France, but he dealt with the shipping. It's been 10 years so I don't remember details.
    If you would like I can ask him for details

5. teljoy

teljoy New Member

I did have a good look at the seller's car, but it turned out to be a fluke, not because of the state of the car, but because the seller wanted to profit more on me with overcharging shipping. The company gave me way better rates and I'm definitely going to go with a company in the future. For now, I'm still searching.

The company was https://www.wcshipping.com/france if anybody was curious. Had a good experience even though I didn't even decide to ship anything, just asked questions.

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

That's why I don't ship overseas anymore. For some reason., people think that because you're shipping it a long distance, you're rich. Then they get greedy.

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member