Installing a LS1 in my 1977 Camaro

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jerhofer, May 14, 2011.

1. Manbearpig

Manbearpig New Member

What wheels are those? I like them!

Love your swap too! :D

2. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Thanks.

They are Torque Thrust wheels. 15x8 front and 15x12 rear.

3. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

The Corvette Story

As I mentioned earlier, I was a bit disappointed with the 1964 Corvette when I got it. However, one should never judge a car when it is dirty. After washing it, it looked much better. When I was drying it, the towel faced resistance from the body. It badly needed to be polished and waxed. I spent two days with my buffer starting with 3M rubbing compound (3 times), 3M fine finishing polish (2 times) and one coat of wax (Griot). Huge difference. While the work above cannot remove cracks and deep scratches, the paint did come alive and was in better condition than my initial assessment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upon putting the car on the lift, I found the bushings were mostly all shot, as were the shocks. New bushings, tie-rod ends, ball joints and a set of Koni Classic shocks made the car drive like new.

The power steering was leaking badly when I got it and it needed a new control valve along with new lines. Works like it should now.

The interior also resonded well to a good clean up. There is some overspray on the area around the radio and the left side lower pad. Won't come off. When I install Vintage Air, I will take it all apart and dye it the proper dark blue. I also have purchased a radio to replace the stock radio which has aux and USB inputs. The previous owner sent along a new fuel gauge to replace the defective one. That will also be repaired when I do the AC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I replaced the tailights, the license plate light and the gas cap which helps on the looks. When I do the AC, I plan on having the bumpers and the air cleaner re-chromed. I bought a used set of the shielding for the distributor and will get it ready for installation soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We recently checked the timing and it was way off. Runs and sounds much better now.

By the way, I took a $500 deposit on the 968. As soon as I fix the AC on it, he will pick it up.

4. Ghostof76

Ghostof76 Veteran Member

Devonshire N.Wilmington,De. Hot Rods to Hell (East
    With a close ratio 'i assume a 2.20 first gear 'and a 3.36 rear , thats a high start line ratio. How does that small block handle that?

5. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

It sure isn't a dragster!!

Well enough but I am not inclined to use hard starts on a nearly 50 year old car anyway. The motor runs well and starts and idles easily. Can't ask for much more than that.

6. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I had a drunk back into the car at our local cruise-in a couple weeks ago. It was very minor but the insurance money is what prompted this. I knew there was the rust issue on the left side of the frame ahead of the rear wheel. The biggest surprise there was the extent of the rust in the area above the frame at the body mount. This area is directly below the fresh air vents behind the door and evidently water leaked into this area and sat there. The mounting bolt head was completely gone!! This will be the toughest repair area. My son can weld but one of his co-workers is one of the fabricators for Toyota Racing Development and is a master welder. He was in the video and wants very much to be involved with the repairs. Some of the other mounts were also rusty but they will be relatively easy to repair.

I had worked for three days preparing the car for lift-off. We began yesterday morning around 8:00AM and had the body off by 10:00. We then rolled the chassis outside to a grassy area next to my garage and I pressure washed it. After pushing the frame back into the garage, we pulled the motor and tranny and then proceeded to dismantle the suspension and rear end. Unfortunately, I injured my ankle slightly as we were pushing the chassis back into the garage and was not as much help to my son as I would normally have been. However, by 5:00, we had everything stripped off the frame and it is ready to go to the sandblasting people. The plan is to take it there, have it blasted, bring it back home to do the repairs and then take it back to them to get everything powdercoated.

While the chassis is gone, I will be removing everything still left in the engine compartment, cleaning it up and painting it. I will then install the Vintage Air, install the fuel gauge and do some other repairs such as replacing the radiator support which was badly rusted at the bottom where the radiator sat. Once I have the frame back and get everything installed, we will put the body back on and have my guy paint the car. Since the rear end seeps, I will be taking it to a local retired guy to re-seal it and do any repairs that might be necessary. I was going to take the leaky transmission there as well but decided to install a Tremec TKO500 five speed tansmission. No cutting is required and the kit includes a reproduction Corvette style shifter along with a new driveshaft and other associated items. The 5 speed will make it an even better driving car as it will have a .68 overdrive. Should be around 2000RPM at 75MPH. I am also going to re-seal the motor to try to stop the oil leaks although this can be a waste of time on an old small block Chevy motor.

The insurance money will allow me to have the car painted for no more than $3500 out of my own pocket. A guy on the Corvette Forum from near here had his frame and all associated pieces sandblasted and powdercoated by this guy in Statesville, NC for $1000. I will be installing all of the exterior bumpers and trim in my garage. By having the labor done by me, my son and his friend, I will be keeping the restoration cost to a minimum but the end result will be an excellent car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEMJcMcsBk4&feature=g-upl

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

You will love that TKO, the TR-3550 (what the TKO-500 started as) made the
    Avanti much nicer to drive. Granted the original base T-86 3 speed was awful
    to shift and horrible to drive with the non-syncro first gear.

The TR-3550 was the perfect choice for me, with the early 10 spline input shaft
    it was almost a bolt in with a club members adapter.

I wish I had a lift, I would like to remove the fiberglass Avanti body and do some
    needed rust repairs on the frame also.

Tom

8. WTR's camaro

WTR's camaro New Member

i didnt have time to read all the way true the tread but did u do any performance mods to this motor...if not i have a ls1 and i know a few tips :cool: nice car btw...i've never been a fan of year model 74-77 but urs is one sweet ride

9. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

No mods. I sold the car.

10. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So is the Porsche gone now too? I see a quote about a deposit of $500. That should have been a quick flip that you transformed that from a eek car to a nice resto with a hot lt1. It is still amazes me how they did the dash in that car. Great work as usual. Your sons 69 looks great also. Is he enjoying the LS now?