Installing a LS1 in my 1977 Camaro

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jerhofer, May 14, 2011.

1. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Thanks for the compliments.

2. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Vette is nice! But I still drool over that beast of a Camaro you restored!

3. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I had more people look at the Camaro than look at the Vette at car shows!

4. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

5. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

Holy Crap, your back.

6. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Yes I am. Not very active here as I have had a busy year. I sold my black Porsche 996 and bought this 1967 Porsche 912 that has an early 80's 911 motor. I am adding air and other things to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sold the Corvette and took this '57 Chevy 150 on trade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got quite a bit of cash difference and it appeared my neighbor was going to buy the '57. That cash was burning a hole in my pocket so the search began for another car. I initially was thinking of buying a 2001-03 Porsche 996 twin turbo but a trip to the Euro Auto Festival in Spartanburg, SC at the BMW plant found me talking to a couple Ferrari 348 owners. I have always wanted to own a Ferrari but have shied away because of the maintenance costs. However, these guys convinced me that doing the maintenance myself would not be a problem.

I found a 1990 model about an hour from here that fit the bill. It needed to have the cam belt changed and needed a clutch. I added two thousand to the cash difference money and drove it home. My son and I pulled the motor (which comes out from the bottom with the rear suspension as well), did the work and we put the motor back in last Sunday. Of course I couldn't resist doing some cleaning and rejuvenating of some parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My neighbor backed out on the '57 that same day I picked up the Ferrari. So I put it on eBay and ended up taking a trade for a 1960 Falcon that I have very little money in. Going to do some sprucing up of that car and put it up for sale in either late winter or early spring.

[​IMG]

It was a wheeler-dealer year!!! Kind of reminds me of years past when I used to do this all the time.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  7. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

Good for you Jerry. It keeps you young. Can you post a couple of pics of the Vette after it was done, before you sold it?

8. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

There are some in post 241. I did take some additional photos with the knock-offs and whitewalls.

[​IMG]

I won "Best of Show" for the local Corvette club at the Autofair show at the Charlotte Speedway back in April. This is a photo of the car waiting in line to get its picture taken.

[​IMG]

The guy I sold it to entered it an all Corvette show against 75 other cars and got "Best of Show". He likes to show his cars in judged shows and has done very well with the car. He is a retired Army colonel fighting cancer. The Corvette was a bucket list car for him so I am glad to see him enjoying the car.

9. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

The Vette looks good, thank you for the pics. It sounds like it went to a very good home.

10. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

It does have a good home and may have kind of been pre-determined that he would own the car. During the nine month saga of the restoration on the Corvette Forum, as happened here, the subject sometimes strayed away from Corvette stuff. Someone noticed my Porsche in the background of one of the photos and asked about it. In my reply I mentioned that I have been a Porsche club member for 35 years and that both my wife and I used to do both track days and autocrossing. In discussing my track cars, I posted the photo below of this E-Production 356 race car with my wife driving.

[​IMG]

Within minutes this Georgia guy responded saying the he used to own that car. We talked by telephone and it turns out he bought the car from the guy I sold it to in Washington, DC. He raced the car in SCCA for a number of years before selling it. He also has a beautiful burgundy 1961 Porsche Roadster that he restored back in 1987. Once I put the Corvette up for sale, he contacted me and said I had restored it exactly as he would have. Because of his chemo he no longer has the strength in his hands to do heavy work so he was looking for a completed car. It has worked out well for both of us and I made a new friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]