Installing U14 Gauges in a 6-cylinder 1977 Camaro ???

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by old_car_eddie, Jan 26, 2019.

1. old_car_eddie

old_car_eddie New Member

Hello, Everyone!

I'll cut to the chase with my question regarding U14 gauges:

Is there anything different in making the swap when the recipient Camaro is a six cylinder car?

My car is really a plain jane, bare bones, car. Idiot lights and the original six-cylinder motor. It's a 1977 model. (Automatic, no a/c, but I doubt this makes any matter.)

Years ago I picked up a set of U14 gauges at a junkyard for something like
    $10 or $15 with the thought of one day trading out the idiot-light cluster with the factory gauge cluster.

I've read most, if not all, of the how-to articles on the forums -- especially those by Brent Brunner and by Allen Kunihiro -- regarding the cluster swap going from idiot lights to U14 gauges.

My question at this point is this: Is there anything different in making the swap when the recipient Camaro is a six cylinder car? I feel the written information is geared toward changeovers from V8 cars to V8 cars.

I'm grateful for any input that can be shared. Thanks and best wishes from Eddie!

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The wiring is the same through the cluster plug.

However, a 6-cylinder tach is different, electronically.

If you hook up a 6 cylinder tach to a V8 engine... It will read 4/3 the actual RPM.
    (4000 tach RPM = 3000 engine RPM)

A V8 tach will display 3/4 engine RPM when connected to a V6.

It's easy enough to swap a 6 cylinder tach into the cluster.

3. old_car_eddie

old_car_eddie New Member

Yep, Twisted, that's exactly what I thought regarding the tachometer. It seems to me I saw a (somewhat universal) tach that had a switch on the reverse that you selected a 4 cylinder, a 6 cylinder or an 8 cylinder application. I guess the idea is the switch cuts the RPMs by half if, for example, you put the selector switch on the 4-cylinder position.

Okay help a guy out here! Who has a tach from a six cylinder cluster??? Surely somebody has one of these puppies around after owners swapped a V8 for their in-line six. I'll consider one in virtually any cosmetic condition provided it works. Give me a shout, please!!!

Thanks, Twisted! I appreciate your input. Anyone else have advice? Thanks from Eddie