Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Robert M Mrozek, Sep 1, 2019.

1. jondebo

jondebo Veteran Member

I just renewed with Hagerty. I have full coverage @ California rates. I have it insured at $25k and I have their road side assistance. Just paid $518

2. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Member

American modern w/ 30k garage kept, weekend cruiser. Towing included. 200.00 a year. Had one claim when I was making the rounds in the neighborhood trying to get it running right after breakin. Make sure you air box/lid is on while tuning or you might have a fire and burn the hood on your newly restored car. Took about four days and the payment was reasonable. Ido have two cars with them. same 30k 200.00

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  3. xten

xten Veteran Member

American collectors has different options. Mine's a 5,000 mi limit, but how would they know? Never asked what was on the odometer. 500 ded on collision, 250 on comp, $288. Sounds like they're all pretty close, depending on options you pick.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I hate to ask, but have any of you folks had to make a claim? Paying for insurance is one thing. It always seems to be a hassle when it is time to to actually use it. Insurance companies like to hold to the cash that you paid in for so many years. Just curious since I just went through the process with my GEICO claim. Not for classic car but still took quite a bit of back and forth to get things to the point where I'm ready to sign my release and they pay.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

I have done work for most of the major classic companies, and some I've never heard of. They usually respond quickly, but they usually use independent adjusters, too. So the experience can vary greatly, depending on how busy the independent adjusting firm is, and if the adjuster is a dick or not. Also parts availability can be a problem. This usually comes down to the shop owner, vehicle owner, and insurance co. or adjuster searching for parts. Payment is usually good when all is settled.

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Funny thing is, they just sent a check before I actually sent the release. I cashed it this Monday 9/9/2019. The accident happened 2/4/19. Since I cashed the check it pretty much is my release. I will just take my time and send the actual form next week. My 1st time making a claim.

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

Is the car repaired Bud? Cashing or depositing that check isn't necessarily a release. Geico could still honor supplements if the shop incurs additional damage after repairs are started.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Yes. The repair happened with in a month of the accident. Took a little longer B/C they used A/M parts instead of OEM. You were the one told me about the program that matches price from OEM to A/M. I forget the name. My Wife noticed 20 ft away the parts were not OE. She refused to accept. They tried to pull a fast one. The shop agreed to use OE but the adjuster was a dick. I think he may have been reassigned after I complained to GEICO. He was not there the 2nd time for pick up. We had medical bills that had to come out of pocket. The Check covered them. I will hire a Lawyer if I ever have to got through this process again. I just thought it would be straight up and fair. Never sued or made a claim on insurance ever. But I bet a Lawyer would have made them jump through the hoops much faster. My uninsured motorist had to cover it B/C the other party had only basic liability. Live and learn.