Interesting day yesterday.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Jan 20, 2019.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

The winter storm that came through yesterday made for a really interesting day. heading up to the girl friends, I saw a car on the side of the road with it's flashers on. I got over to give them room and started to slow down in case they needed help. It was raining pretty good so I couldn't see for sure what the issues was originally. Then I saw people running around in a hurry. The car slowly started rolling in a circle. One got in an dhit the brake before it rolled down the ditch. In hindsight I wish I'd have hit record on my dash cam.

Coming home, early, the wind and snow were really cranking. (The East coast is getting that today.) The plows were out but they were having trouble finding the lanes and before they went 1/2 a mile it drifted over again. I tried to stay in the two cleared lines but kept rolling on the rumble strips at the side of the road. 70 mph speed limit and I was running 35-40. An hour drive took about 2 1/2. Part of that was a family from Minnesota sliding off the road. I thought people from up there knew how to drive in the snow. well, he's a Doctor and their apartment is a block from the hospital, the kid's school is 2 blocks away and mom is a writer. The had an Escalade like mine but newer and with street tires all around. I guess if you never drive, you don't get good. 25 degrre weather with snow blowing up to 40 mph, I gave them a ride to a truck stop. they found a motel about 1/4 mile away that would let them bring the dog so I gave them a ride down to it. From what I could see of their SUV, I suspect it's toast. they hit the ditch hard.

At least the motel was realistic. They had a line of folding beds in the dining room for overflow. A lot of truckers and travelers were pulling in because of the storm. I think the family got the last room.

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Was were expecting 2-3 feet. So far its just over a foot. Hopefully this is it for the year.....:whine:

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Alas, I think this is one of those winters where the storm track runs south of us and pumps moisture over cold air. I think we're just getting started.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It has been snowing a little every day here this past week. But, we went for weeks without any snow before that so it was probably about time to get some again. I just move it aside and it isn't a problem. I suspect that the next 6 weeks could bring a lot more snow.

5. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

We were having difficulties yesterday when we woke up it was about 43 out so no one here knew what to do. Dressed like it was Alaska in the winter but luckily it is back into the 60's and upper 70's in the day. The crap we have to endure in the sunshine state lol :D;):)

6. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

It was a bust in NH. Only about 6 inches after predictions were 12-24". But then it got really cold. yuk

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I’m still shocked they actually predicted this storm a week in advance. They said it would snow and it did. Congrats weather channel you got one right

jeff swisher likes this.
  8. goofnrox

goofnrox Veteran Member

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while.

9. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Freezing rain for us today.

10. DaveSoave

DaveSoave New Member

Man, might have been a rough few days, huh?