Intermittent wiper switch for 77

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Othercasey, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Othercasey

Othercasey New Member

Is there a thread here with info on putting an intermittent wiper motor and switch in a 77?

2. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

3. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

4. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Do the 78-83 pickup truck wiper motors bolt in place of your stock ones? They do on 67-72 A-bodies....I’ve designed a 78-83 truck pulse/wiper delay for a ‘70 Monte before...did several actually and it worked out pretty slick.

5. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I hope to do a write up on this soon. Depending on your skill level it’s not terrible.

There are two types of “round” motors. The one with delay is called the “motor with extra (red) wire”. This is the motor with the delay timing board on it.

I hope to have my board by Friday to verify this, but here’s my explanation. Basically, they are the same motors, except the middle terminal on the delay motor has a loose lead that will connect to the timing board and the motor’s (normally black and pink striped) wire is loose and connects to the other terminal on the timing board (if the pump assy is installed these are all connected and not loose). Non-Delay Motors, the black and pink striped wire connects directly to terminal #2, ie the middle terminal. If you have a non-delay motor, you can order the windshield wiper pump assy for a delay motor, like Anco 61-19 (I just got mine for $27) and install that on your non-relay motor. To install, cut the black/pink wire to splice it as I said above. (I hope to verify this this week or next, but I’m 99% sure). To sum it up, the power wire from the fuse block (black and yellow striped on my 70) needs to feed the timing board and the motor then gets the power from the timing board. Whereas non-delay motors, the motor gets power directly from the fuse block wire.

Or you could just buy a delay motor as stated above (more expensive, but easier).

After that, you need to add a wire to go from the extra terminal on the new delay switch you will need and that goes to terminal 6 on the motor (the single terminal near the pump). Either use an empty slot on the bulkhead connector like I will, or put through a grommeted hole.

The 3 terminals next to each other by the round motor are terminals 1, 2, and 3. The middle one is power in and is black and yellow stripped on my car. 1 is the high speed and on the top of the vertical line of 3 terminals when looking at the motor mounted in the car. This wire is black on my car. I already talked about terminal 2, the one in the middle. Terminal 3 is park and is the bottom of the 3 vertical terminals, which is light blue on my car. 4 and 5 are together by the pump. I don’t think their order matters as the are in series (unless a diode was installed on the coil, not likely). 4 is black and yellow stripped and wyed with terminal 2 on a non-delay motor, but basically needs 12v like you get from terminal 2. Terminal 5 is dark blue on mine. 6 is the new one for a delay motor (proper convention would be dark green) and is what you hook up the new wire to. On later cars I think the light blue terminal 3 is now gray and the black terminal 1 is now purple. Also the dark blue terminal 5 is now pink. Power to terminal 2 and 4 can be either yellow or white.

The wiper switch completes grounds. Based on how many “circuits” are grounded determines the wiper function.

When 1 and 3 are grounded you have low speed. When only 1 is grounded you have high speed. When only 3 is grounded you have park/off.

4 is power to the pump and is usually “wyed” with terminal 2.

5 is the ground to activate the pump.

6 is grounded at all times except when in delay, at which point it is open so that power flows through the relay board instead of around it. (At least on the 83 Pontiac switch I’m using).

Hope this helps. I’ll revisit this or write something more thorough up when I get my parts.

Let me know if you have questions.

6. mrluckies

Oh yeah, your switch has to be grounded. If it isn’t, it won’t work. On my 83 switch (I’m using a 3rd gen steering column in my 70), there’s a 5th wire to ground the switch. So basically all those other wires vary their continuity with this ground based on the selected function.

I think the 79 switch has a terminal for the ground. This switch is mounted in the dash.

7. mrluckies

Im pretty sure the motors junkyardz28find is talking about also will work. I’m pretty sure the A body motors have the 3 terminals above the pump instead of between the pump and motor like on f bodies. Not sure about the truck motors. Either way, the three terminals do the same function regardless. The middle one is power. One of the side ones is hi speed and the other side is park/off. Low speed is when both are connected. You can bench test to prove it out. Just remember to ground the motor housing if bench testing. There’s a really good YouTube video by “Chris Craft” on how to test gm wiper motors.

8. inanemc

inanemc New Member

If you’re looking for a pulse switch because yours is hosed for 77-78 Camaro you can put one together from a Caprice switch.
    Just switch out the faceplates(don’t lose the spring and ball bearing). You can also get the pins in the connectors. If you switch housing is similar to what these loom like you might be in luck.
    4AD48027-E26B-4C93-BEA9-44E19F5A1880.jpeg

9. inanemc

inanemc New Member

4D971AF4-A3DA-4DF3-A664-10282DF88716.jpeg

10. inanemc

inanemc New Member

84F14407-C948-44CF-9884-F0EA8507B182.jpeg