Is this 5.3 too expensive?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Todd80Z28, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Tough to say what I'll do. I'm still trying to decide if I even REALLY have the time to do an LSx swap. The real answer is no- I've got a job that keeps me *BUSY* 60+ hours/week, my yard needs landscape work (sucks to live next to two landscapers), my basement finishing project is half-done, etc. That's before we get to the "Dad, we want you to stop working and play with us.":)
    Not sure about harness and ECM. If I decide that I won't be doing much modding down the road, I'll probably farm it out. If I decide I might (cam, heads, blower, whatever), then I'll buy and tune myself.

To be clear, though- I'm not adamant about no one touching my car. I have no issue farming out harness work, or ECM programming, etc. But, I do this because it's a hobby, and the cornerstone of the hot rod hobby is doing the majority of the work yourself. Not because I have to because of some rodder's credo or anything, but if I wasn't tinkering myself, I wouldn't have an old car. Reality is that, these days, if you just want to look cool and go fast, it's a whole lot easier to do in a new car. If that's all I *really* wanted, I could throw down for a new Z06 and be done with it. That's not what I'm after. I like to tinker. To me, I take much more satisfaction in *building* something, than I do from *having* something.

One thing I don't do is bodywork. I'm not an artist, I have no talent for paint.:)

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I love to tinker myself, but I know my bounds. See my schedule also prohibits the time and I know my A.D.D (joke) won't allow me to focus and finish in a timely manner. So if I want it done fast, I have to pay. I realize it....sucks, but what can ya do......in the meantime I try to learn as much as possible reading and watching the video's from S+P.

I DID try to do some body work before mine went to paint with my uncle.....my bondo jobs were pretty good actually....I thought anyways. :confused: :crazy:

One thing I DEFINTELY am doing is getting a copy of HP Tuners for myself because there's not a chance in hell I'm paying $200 each time for a computer hookup to tune my car different ways.

BTW Todd if you're going 5.3 why not get the iron block?? I considered it.....it's stronger from what I hear for say....supercharging ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  3. Z28TERRY

Z28TERRY Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah F body LS1. I'll try to get the seller's name.

4. Z28TERRY

Z28TERRY Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

tennesseeauto is his ebay name. tennesseeauto.com

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I recognize his logo. When I was shopping I did see a few of his motors.
    IIRC he was reasonably priced.

6. HarleyT

HarleyT Veteran Member

I bought my t56 from them and have had no problems with it at all. I was very impressed with the whole transaction.

7. hill

hill Veteran Member