Is this a good used motor for the camaro?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 81 Sport Coupe, Jan 6, 2015.

1. 81 Sport Coupe

81 Sport Coupe Veteran Member

found this 350 ho on craislist, I want to get rid of the 6 in my camaro. would this be a good motor to build? the only thing that bothers me when buying a used motor is if it was in rebuilt professionally, or if in fact at all. is anyone fimilar with this 350 in terms of power output? or if I can pull the same 350 at my pick and pull for $100 http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/4823519525.html

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No one here is pyschic buddy.That could be the best thing since sliced bread,or the worst thing you ever did.

3. 81 Sport Coupe

81 Sport Coupe Veteran Member

the ad says it's 69-79 corvette or special order camaro motor and a very high nickel grade block. just wanted to see if anyone knew if theirs anything "special" about it, or if it's sounds like bs, I probely won't get it anyway

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

I would RUN from that deal

a brand new GM 350 crate motor is like $1500 and that is brand new

5. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

agreed! heck you would be better off getting one from a junk yard. Atleast they will guarantee it for a while.
    My opinion on buying a used motor is consider it a core to rebuild and if it runs good and doesnt need rebuilt you got lucky.

6. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

RUN away as fast as you can.

1) look at the rust, dirt, paint on engine. No way that's a 0 mile rebuild

2) 3970010 is the MOST used chevy block casting number. That casting went from 1969 to 1980. Just about any and ever 350 stock combo was used in that block.. Could also be a 2 or 4 bolt main, 2 or 4 bbl carb engine.

I would look for a good used 1996-00 L31 vortec 350 from a full size truck/suv/van. You can find them for wrecked trucks with 125K-150K or so miles on them for around $500-800

It's a 255 HP stock, roller cam, vortec heads 350 with PM rods.
    Pull the throttle body and intake off of it, do a cam swap, change valve spring, and put a summit stage II vortec intake and a 600-660 carb on it, HEI dist, and a set of headers and you have a 325-350 HP engine on the cheap.

7. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

The kind of person that has the money to have an engine machined but doesn't paint the block or buy a new waterpump is not the kind of person I would trust to build an engine.

8. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

My thoughts EXACTLY. That motor may be a fresh rebuild but the looks of it in the pics has me wondering why it looks like crap?

Honestly, a new NAPA water pump for a small block Chevy probably runs $50.00. Why in the world would you toss an old water pump on a "brand new" motor build? If the answer is because he was looking to cut a corner, then the next question is where else did he cut corners?

Now just so it doesn't look like I'm stepping on your nuts, there's always the possibility that the seller left the engine color and water pump decision up to the new owner. Small block Chevy's had a long and short water pump based on year and application. Also some people do paint their engine other colors besides Chevy Orange. My buddy painted the 350 in his 67 Camaro black. His car is the stock gold/tan color from 1967 and he didn't like how the orange looked in a gold engine compartment.

The problem is that there are a lot of unknowns that you might not know until you talk to the seller or actually see the motor in person. Can't hurt to at least send him an email or call. Worst case scenario is you pass.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  9. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

The 010 block was used to make 2 bolt and 4 bolt main engines and was used in the entire line up from Nova to Impala, truck and van.

It has a tinge of nickle but wears out just as fast as any of them if abused.

I'd be skeptical.
    Was the crank reground
    Rods re-sized?
    Cylinders bored and honed?
    What pistons?
    Rings, bearings and their tolerances.
    Timing set, STD oil pump?
    Gasket set?
    Heads?
    Valve guides, Valve job?

That's alot to do for $800 anymore.

But not listing such things and just rattling about the most common block casting like it's special makes me leery.

10. kimosabi

kimosabi Veteran Member

That thing hasn't been touched for YEARS. Would not trust.