Issues after replacing sub-frame bushings.

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Green hornet, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I installed new solid subframe bushing today. The old bolts and bushing came right out (bonus of having a 70 California car). The issue is that after installing them the fenders are out of square a 1/4 inch + and the hood won't close. Good thing I didn't just shut the hood thinking everything was the same as before I started, that would have been a mess. I think the frame was off to start with. I aligned the frame with the dowel wholes but now the fenders are off. How how do I correct this issue. I have done a search and did not find any remedy. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Which ones you have? If installed backwards it will throw it off. Custom works ones the wide part went between body and sub frame.

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    did you replace one side at a time or all of them at once.

4. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Bushings are Global West solid. Did one side at a time as the directions and a post I found here said to do.

5. jlsug

jlsug Veteran Member

Apr 10, 2012
    iowa
    Did you also replace the bushings under radiator support? If you did it might be that radiator support shifted.

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I have seen when the radiator support bushings were put in wrong it changed the geometry. if it were me I would double check the new bushings just to be sure they are in correct. also compare the old to the new for any substantial differences.

When I did my bushings. the old ones were pretty squashed so when I changed them out the sheet metal did settle out a bit.

May want to post some pictures if you can so people can see what you are looking at.

7. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here are photos of left and right side. The issue is it is out of square to the left so the hood cannot close. The hood stripes no longer line up with the noise. Everything lined up just right before changing the bushings and the bushings are all in correctly.

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Ouch....that sucks. I am assuming that no sheet metal was loosened in the process so I don't think that the rear of the fenders care that the bushings were changed out Maybe?. I would think that the next step would be to loosen the radiator support bushings just to if that prompts a change in the metal alignment.

9. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    Could it be possible that the sub frame shifted over a bit when loose?
    Not sure how to check that. Maybe a straight edge from rear frame?

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    The front ones on rad are tricky,they are reverse from rear bushings. The big spacer to body ,they would look upside down compared to back 4 .could be why nose is down?