It feels like I'm running a service station here...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Todd80Z28, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's fall maintenance time, so for the last few weeks, I've been doing various maintenance on the vehicles. We're up to five:rolleyes: with only two drivers currently, and I'm trying to get them all back in shape before winter. I feel like I've done nothing but work on cars for most of September-
    Wife's MDX- Oil, rotate, filters.
    Daughter's TSX (not even here to drive it, away at college)- oil, rotate, filters. Deep clean interior, trying to get a residual puke-ish smell that pops up when it's hot. I think I got it this time- decided to use the carpet cleaner on the perforated seats. I don't even want to know...
    Camaro- clean and detail, ready for inspect, get a ticket before inspect for not having inspect:), then get actual inspect.:rolleyes:
    Son's Pilot (recently given to us, but he only has his permit)- various fluids, tried to fix pulsating front brakes with a clean/reseat- no go, fix navi drive- no go, rotate tires, PCV, engine detail, interior detail, wheel resto, etc... Still have new rotors to install (to really fix the front pulsing), trans flush 3x then add the secret sauce, and rear diff.
    TL- interior deep clean so far. Still needs oil, rotate, trans oil swapped.

Normally I'm doing lots of yard work this time of year, but the dry end to summer ruined it all, so I really just want to pour gas on the whole lawn and walk away...

dave@ztech likes this.
  2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I know what you mean. Tomorrow will be the first comfortable day we've had in MONTHS. I have a lot to do myself. Brakes on mother-in-law's car, sand/reclear headlights on sister-in-law's car. Change the differential fluid in my truck. Hopefully I can rest Sunday.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Todd

5 vehicles with only 2 drivers currently IN the household, but one kid away at school and another one soon to be a licensed driver isn't so bad.

Try 6 vehicles with only 2 drivers and the only kid living on their own for the last 25 years and having a couple of vehicles of her own that I occasionally work on....;)

There is a reason my daughter gave me this for Christmas several year's ago...

Champ's Garage.jpg

4. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I hear ya - last weekend it was brakes on my mother in law’s truck, then brakes on a friends car, today I’m doing struts on a neighbour’s Kia I still need to change the oil and some other maintenance on the wife’s edge and don’t get me started on what my truck needs before winter. Oh and the mother in law’s car is sitting here too I have to put a radiator in in my “spare time” - but yesterday we had to go out there I had to replace the toasted kitchen faucet which snowballed Into a way bigger project as the garbage disposal was rotten out and leaking. I’m not touching the pipes in The basement - I decided that getting a little wet in the kitchen was worth it as opposed to sneezing anywhere near the pipes in the basement.

7FBF9995-5B66-4DC4-BB1C-BEE1A1B3E87C.jpeg 9DD297A1-3B7D-4A37-AD24-4FD8BED03E08.jpeg

5. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Easier to change the faucet w the disposal out of the way!

gramps likes this.
  6. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Too bad you guys aren't closer - I have some maintenance work I need done on my cars that it sounds like you guys could do :crazy:

carr911 likes this.
  7. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Front pads and rotors, oil change on my sons car, rear pads and rotors on my car. Thankfully my daughter gets a free oil change on her birthday so I lucked out there. Trying to keep maintenance up on our cars and repairing my 2 most recent projects/flips. Not to mention the things that should have been done. All because I was out of service since November of last year.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

A few years ago I decided to cut down on the routine oil change work. I started buying 25,000 mile/1 year rated oil. Now I change oil once a year and no more. I did change the oil today in my lawn mower before retiring it for the winter and on my snowblower so it is ready for the blizzard we are expecting starting tomorrow. They are forecasting 1-2 feet of snow through this area. Global Warming can't get here soon enough for me.

9. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been using regular Mobil 1 since forever and sometimes doing just a yearly change based on mileage, and the last time I sent one into Blackstone Labs, he told me I still did it too soon.

I did the front rotors and trans flush 2x last weekend. The front pulsing is gone, but the rears are still chugging along, so those will get swapped this week. Good news is the trans shifts like new with 7qts of new fluid in it.

10. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Todd, I feel your pain. 7 cars, all of which will need something. I am also opening up our garage for folks in a couple of weeks to let them use the lifts and tools to get their stuff done before winter, so it really will look like an operating shop for a day haha