Its Alive

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by schitzo, Jun 2, 2006.

1. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

Fired up the LS1 this morning. First try the damn thing fired right up.....no hesitation....it idles high because I had forgotten to cap the vacuum ports.I don't have any exhaust on yet so it sounds pretty mean.
    hopefully I can get a vid uploaded with my dial up

Aces tell those guys to hurry up with your swap....you are goin to make a naughty in your pants when you fire that thing.

here is a pic
    [​IMG]

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Best of both worlds. Classic car with a modern powerplant. And by this time you should know the ins and outs of the electrical stuff on that engine. Have you added up the total costs yet. (Or don't want to think about it?)

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like the looks of that beast in a 2nd gen! :cool:

Glad you had good luck with it. I hope the rest of the retrofit goes well too because I want to see it in person this year! How long till it's road-worthy?

I have to leave this thread now before I get any ideas.
    I know who to talk to now... ;)

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LOOKS HAWT!!!!

Bastard, ya beat me....haha....I am just waiting on my gas tank to get back, they should be getting it Monday....Maybe next weekend I'll be dropping it off. I just want it done before I goto Florida in July.

Kickass man, I know that's gotta be a great f'n feeling bro'. Congratulations. :D

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

FLORIDA in JULY!?!

Do you have AC?

6. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

just got back from the exhaust shop.....drove it all the wayback to my place.....boy this thing is tha shiznit.....Its stock and still pulls hard.....the sound is great to....

passed by a busy drive through and the temp never went above 190 even with the hot weather

love it

7. Aceshigh

Yeah .....I know.....but what can ya do??? My girl wanted to go so bad.
    I lived in Pensacola for 6 months while attending my crypto training in the Navy.
    It wasn't that bad.

Schitzo, I'm glad to hear you're so happy brother.
    I just reviewed your list> Can you tell me what hose part #'s you ordered ??

8. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Yup. My LS1 came from a 2000 Trans Am. The only thing that is different from stock is the exhaust (2 1/2" dual with crossover) and air cleaner setup. It is smooth as a kitten, pulls well to 6,000 rpm and gets 24mpg in real world highway driving.

Anyone contemplating the swap should just drop it in as is. You can always go the heads / cam / intake route later....but I have never felt the need to do so.

9. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

which hoses...radiator or fuel......for fuel I used 3/8 and 5/16 EFI rubber hose btw the pump and corvette FPR and a -6AN braided hose from my hard line to the fuel rail

if it is the radiator hoses, I used the stock LS1 Fbody upper hose part # NBH 8985 ( Napa part # ) (I had to mod my radiator for this to work....look at my homepage)

For the bottom hose, I used part # NBH 7217.....works but rubs against the subframe......it was the 5th hose I had tried and was getting sick of returning all the hoses back to the store....I still have to get a better one.

10. Aceshigh

Yeah, it was the radiator hoses I was inquiring about.
    I just got my fuel line and fuel connectors after I spoke with you last time.
    25 feet of blue aluminum fuel line + the -6an connectors. Still waiting on 1 of them.

I wanted to give them a starting point on the hoses in case they didn't know
    which to get for sure. It would save me and them alot of headaches.