Jake, need advice on this LS1 part

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I opened up the box that came with my engine to find MORE parts that I wasn't aware of. My engine came with the gas pedals from the '04 GTO, and now I just found a Bosch pump mechanism connected to a throttle cable and some kind of Bosch master box it plugs into.

Now I'm confused as to if this is necessary to use in MY car or not.
    I'm guessing NOT, but then again, I'm wondering if this complicates my ECU reprogram and the harness mods. I have to call Speartech....not too sure WTF I'm supposed to do with it....or if it's even beneficial to use or a waste of time.

Anyone ??

2. camrs73

camrs73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

stability controller?

3. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 05-later were throttle by wire. Since this is cable but has this mechanism attached it sounds like it's involved with the torque management/traction control of the car. That'd be my guess as the torque management is fairly obtrusive on these cars, and one of the first things people try to disable or reduce in the tune.

Jody

4. Aceshigh

In other words .....ditch it and don't worry about it ??

5. camrs73

camrs73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

is there a part # on the box? look it up on gmpartsdirect.com

6. lttype1978

lttype1978 Veteran Member

Aceshigh,
    Just a suggestion if you have not thought abt it. Why dont you try buying a GM manual for the year in question. When i changed my engine the GM manual was very helpful in getting the car running as well understand stuff. May be you have thought abt it. I brought mine off evilbay. By the way I have a LT1 and 4l60E. These books are also helpful for other modifications. But I just read in a previous post that ur paying somebody to install the engine.

These books are still a good investment.

7. lttype1978

lttype1978 Veteran Member

Couple of other things: Try getting the data cable so u can find codes if u have any problems later.
    I dont know what trans ur are running (6 speed or 4lE??) but if you want ur auto trans to lock up, you need the brake light switch...and then figure a way to connect it ...to utilize this function....try to find one or get it from the seller.

I forgot both of these and had problems. Just my thought

8. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would think since it's a cable throttle body on an older car I wouldn't mess with the factory pedal, and simply use a cable throttle.

Jody

9. Aceshigh

Thanks Jody,

lttype1978, I'm installing the 4L60E that came with the motor.
    I have an LS1 repair manual already, I bought that when I bought the engine, it's more indepth then a big GTO book that is not really needed. I guess it just depends on preference. I got it off Evilbay myself. This was the ONLY GTO specific question I'll need answered......I think for now anyways.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884089844/103-6568834-5482216?v=glance&n=283155