JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Finally got the sink installed and flowing. Hot water too!!
    [​IMG]

Also cleaned out the corner of all the metal shelves and upper wood shelves. this will be my new cabinets and pantry for the welder and act\oxy bottles.
    [​IMG]

I also had a friend come pick up my rotisserie and many other things to get rid of stuff not needed that he could use. i hope to get some cabinets and the pantry going this weekend. i have to change the water pump in my truck first. Always something to get in the way.

BTW, my friend that came over should be able to come back in a few weeks to help put the anti-roll bar in the car. I need to get the right side wall finished so i can get all the boxes and stuff off the floor and the car back in the garage.

thanks for checking out my progress.

2. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

I really want to move my compressor out to the shed behind the garage but am unsure about moisture in the lines freezing during the winter months. Have to give it some thought. Nice work on the progress.

3. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

More work on the garage. Took down all the old shelves and cabinets on the right wall. Finished the countertop and built all the frames for the cabinets and pantry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i put up the ceiling fans.
    [​IMG]

I also installed lights in the attic, cut out diagnols in the way and brace roof more. Many things accomplished last week.

4. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

here is more pics of the garage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

attic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rolling cabinet/pantry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Car finally back in garage after cleaning up garage floor and backyard driveways.
    [​IMG]

I am now going back to working on the car. Lift it up on blocks again and try to get the Anti-roll bar installed. Next will be the steering column issue. Thanks for checking out the progress.

5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That is one awesome man-cave!!! Looking forward to seeing more pics of your car as you get back to work on her!

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Can you use PEX this way? Is it rated for high pressure, and is it good for removing moisture? Just curious. Ive got similiar setup, but all pipe. I need more cooling tubes, im thinking of going copper.

7. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

It will hold the pressure. Rated to 165 pounds. i don't see any leaks and mine is maxed out at 155. I just need more ventilation in the compressors room.

8. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

I have been working on my Anti-roll bar. i had many issues to tackle. First, i couldn't put it in front of the rearend and had to put it behind the rearend. Next, the bar i got was too short to hit the frame rails since they get wider as they go toward the rear past the rearend. Then i wanted more welding area so i made the weld on plates out of angle. Once i got it fit, the plates that weld to the bar was too close to the springs.
    [​IMG]

I had to go to the hardware and find a pipe to make a shim to get the plates further from the springs. I cut them and drilled/tapped for a set screw. here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the bar is too far to the rear and the tabs that weld to the rearend are too short. So i had to make them about 1 1/4" longer. I will weld a plate across the to give them more strength. that is the plan for the weekend. i also need to get someone over to tig the chrome moly plates. My eyes aren't that good when welding anymore. So i would prefer a better welder. if i can't find anyone, i might have to do it myself. Thanks for checking out my progress.

9. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

I finally got my anti-roll bar in. i only have to tap the left hand threads on one of my post to complete it. here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this fixes my issues back there. I also tried to replace the bearing in the steering column. it still wobbled. i researched and i seem to be missing a top race looking part. i had to order an entire another kit for the part. I will try to install tonight to see if it does the trick. i still have to pull out the column to repaint since the steering wheel hub chipped up the column paint. i will also paint the bottom section of the steering wheel that is aluminum. it just doesn't look right on the black column. the steering wheel top will stay brushed aluminum. Thanks for checking out my progress.

10. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

I was able to fix the steering column with the new rebuild kit. so i decided to take out the column and sand the top edge down where all the chips were. I sprayed multiple layers to help with the blending of all the coats on the column. I also took out the lower kick panels to prepare for paint. i had to glue where the panel goes to an edge strip up to the dash. it keeps cracking and i tried to use caulking, but it was terrible. the hot glue seemed to worked great. I sprayed some bed liner paint to help cover it up. i will be spraying the entire pieces with the bed liner paint, then clearing it. I will do all the painting hopefully next weekend. i also sanded my NOS bracket and other aluminum parts that started oxidizing. i will be clearing them this time. i also have to cut down the NOS warmer and tack back together. It is too wide to fit the in aluminum bracket. Easier to cut the steel warmer than to cut apart the aluminum bracket.

My friend that does all my electrical is supposed to finish up on all my wiring since the column and lower panels are removed. once he gets it all finished, then i can install all my parts again. Thanks for checking out my progress.