JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

It's been awhile since last post. i have been doing mostly things around the house but did get another tool box and installed under the bench. Lowered and rebuilt my deck in backyard and general cleanup. I was also to finish up the wiring for line lock, fuse line and battery lines. Hopefully i get the column in this weekend and start it up again. i still have a few more gremlins to figure out.

70ZED and John Wright like this.
  2. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

This weekend i finally got to do a few things on the car. I had to ground the light switch to get the cluster gauges to dim correctly. After grounding the switch, no luck. i researched the problem and it seems that you need an AutoMeter dimmer because of the LED lights. So now i have to purchase that and wire it in. And on top of that, you have to use the dial on the dimmer switch, not the light switch.

I installed the steering column and linkage to the rack and pinion. I hooked up my stereo and equalizer to test the stereo wiring. all seems to work, just needs to be tweaked. I then tested the NOS system. All seems good there as well. Next was to figure out why my shift indicator wasn't working. I did check all the connections with the cluster out and all seemed fine. While looking at the indicator, i was stuck in the finger by a wire. the damn hot wire just came out the circuit board. There is silicon on the back of the board. i don't think any of the wires are soldiered on. Just the silicon holding in the wires. Ridiculous on a very pricey part.

3. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's a shame

4. Venom Ice

Venom Ice New Member

Wow, man. Just WOW. What a great history thread on this car. Glad I found this, can't wait to read more. Incredible job you are doing, and a lot of hard, hard work. Fantastic!

5. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

thanks, and sorry i never did get a chance to finish the pics.

6. Venom Ice

Venom Ice New Member

Hey John, how's it going? Hope all is well.

7. Lenny

Lenny New Member

Nice car. What a sweet journey. I have been down this road for over 5 years with my 71. I Bought it with good intentions to restore it but found out along the way it was too far gone to bring it back to original OEM so I opted out to go a back half pro street build. Most of my 71 is still based on original equipment. (Sub frame all steel fenders, doors, quarters, floor pan and glass except for rear half is chris Alston rear frame with tub's. I pretty sure I saved my 71 from the crusher. I would have liked to have seen it in original form but at the time I had to make a decision either save it or scrap it. As it turns out, it has turned out to be a beautiful piece of history. I am happy to have found this site and all you who are doing the same thing....just saying.

8. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I look forward to seeing lots of pics of your 71! That is by far my favourite year.

9. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

thanks for the comments guys. i have been working on the car lately. I had my headers recoated. unfortunately, it took them 4 1/2 months to do them. i had to get the car running again and moved around. then i finished up some electrical connections. for the last month or so, i have been getting my body ready for paint. i found another solvent pop and had to fix that on the rear spoiler. I had a crack in the hood from pushing the front corner down, so i fixed that. i sanded down the front and rear roof sections before i put the glass in a couple of years ago. it was just primed and i had to go back and sand, prime sand then sealer. then i wet sanded the entire roof plus the upper qrt's and sealed the entire roof for the final time. i sanded all the base/clearcoat off all the edges where over-spray occurred during painting all the jams and fenders and hood. I also sanded and sealed the area i fixed from the tire damage on the wheel well.

10. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Getting off cars, but here is stuff i did during downtime with camaro. rebuilt back garden and rear deck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

built lower cabinets on right side of garage.
    [​IMG]
    also installed led lighting
    [​IMG]

built drill station cabinet
    [​IMG]

here is a pic of the roof before final sealer coat.
    [​IMG]

I haven't been taking too many pics since camera lens on phone can be a little blurry at times. i will try to take some more and update more often. Thanks for checking out my progress

71RSLS likes this.