Joys of homeownership....

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i'll go with a simple one here....

MAILBOX!!!! typically the rear of a metal mailbox is crimped together (Pittsburgh seem)....the front opens and closes.... I had a neighbor whom i was setting his new mailbox ....give me 30 minutes jaw because i was setting it 1/2 bubble forward??//// uh..xxxx...you want the water to run out the front ....not toward your mail....if it leakes in around the door or blows in just right...

2. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

I am pretty sure, when she did the roof, it was currently cedar shake, and 2 layers of asphalt shingles. i think she put a 3rd layer of asphalt shingles on it, but i cant be positive. i do know they took nothing off when doing the roof.
    I do actually know enough about roofing to be able to roof my shed. After that, i hire the best roofing contractor in the area, like i did for my house. Roofs are something where i think quality goes a long way. The guy that did mine, did half the roofs in the neighborhood. When you look at those roofs, they all look uniform and flat. Look at the other roofs in the neighborhood done by Donnies Discount Roofing, and, well, they got what they paid for. My other slow to learn neighbor had a roof done by a company that does windows, siding, kitchens, bathrooms, garage doors, roofs, and driveways. He got what he paid for as well. It was done in the fall, and in the middle of winter there was a guy climbing around his roof with a caulk gun fixing something.

3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Maybe if we paid people to do a good job better than we do to fry potatoes...............................ah, what the hell am I thinking.

Smokey15 likes this.
  4. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

We [the children] had mom and dads house roofed as dad had "some guy' start it and he was jailed for stabbing his helper after a night of drinking LOL.He was putting another layer over the 1890's cedar shakes and 4 other layers!He was starting out right by laying down another layer of roll asphalt roofing before his layer of shingles [bought at menards by dad] RIGHT I can only imagine the weight of all of that on the roof.If it wasn't an old farmhouse with real boards and trusses it probably would have fallen down,House made with real 2x4's+ 2x6's. I remember having to add 3/8 strips to modern 2x4's when helping dad remodel in the 80's.Before craigslist there was that bulletin board at the truck stop,diner or hardware store with "some guy" doing repair/remodeling/landscaping.Dad always found one and always a fail-he never learned-Contractors were Robber Barons! Later Steve!!

5. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

My house was built in 1949. At that time, it was on a small rise.The road by my house is a popular short cut. Why, I don't know. One block south is an expressway that goes over the rail road tracks that often have trains blocking the road I live on. It has been repaved numerous times over the years. There are concrete curbs on the original driveway that go down into the ground. I'm not sure how far, but when my new garage imploded the old sewer pipe and I had to repair it, I was looking for the man hole that was supposed to be in my driveway. The sewer line was installed in '67. (Yes, I have indoor plumbing! :) ) I had to dig down to find the original cover. The sewer department put a 4 foot extension on it to bring it level with my drive. The county has never dug the ditch out so my yard, and the house next door, both flood in heavy rain. I've asked repeatedly over the years and nothing has been done. I've tried to get to a county meeting to ask in open forum why this is so it can't be "forgotten" again. I figure the road is at LEAST 4 or 5 feet higher than when my house was built.

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I GC'd the rebuild of my house after a fire and the worst was the guys that laid the hardwood flooring.

They started in the kitchen and never struck a single chalk line.

By the time they had progressed into the living room it took three of them to set a board....2 were prying to bend a curve in the board and one to nail it down. When I got the boss and walked him down the hall to look at the bend he said the wall was bent! They were about 6 inches past the wall that separated the kitchen from the living room and one end of the board was in the kitchen and the other was in the living room (4 foot boards!). I just shook my head. I threw them out and called Lowe's (where I bought the flooring...big mistake) and the store manager couldn't believe it. They tore up and pitched about a thousand dollars of flooring.

7. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Soon after we moved into our house, I discovered that the hot water heater relief valve had been replaced with a pipe plug. The worst thing was the guy that owned and built the house was the maintenance superintendent at a large petrochemical plant so he clearly knew better.

8. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

Not homeowner -related but years ago when I was in the Mill/Industrial supply business as a Sales Engineer I got a call from a customer that had a "bad gauge" on a boiler. So took them a new gauge (which was all they "needed"). Went down to the boiler room and HOLY poo! Ancient boiler running. Popping and ticking and not sounding AT ALL happy! I look at the gauge and the needle was on zero. Classic symptom of being overpressured. I looked down the side and instead of being a cylinder this thing had a distinct "barrel shape" to it! I told the guy to "SHUT THIS DAMN THING DOWN RIGHT NOW". After some argument he did so but only after I threatened to leave and call the Fire Dept because they were gonna need it! Turns out the REAL problem was the safety relief valve was rusted solid and may as well have been a pipe plug! Wish I had been there when they had it inspected because I heard later they had to have the whole thing replaced! Don't know how close it was to going BOOM or how long they had been running it like that...

9. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

I look after the steam boiler at our church and instituted a policy a couple of years ago of blowing it down once a week to test the low water cutoff. To back up my argument that it needed to be done, I used the example of a high school several miles away whose boiler ran out of water and whose low water cutoff didn't work. The fire department estimated that the temperature in the boiler room was 1000 degrees. It's amazing no one was killed.

10. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I used to be a rep for A.O. smith in the 90's and they would show examples of waterheaters that exploded from plugged/rusted relief valves and thermal expansion,actual cases where it actually launched thru the roof and ended up hundreds of yards away,Relief valve drips because system is closed,plumber too dumb to understand liquid expands when heated so they "plug" the leak seen that dozens of times-goes with what runs down hill.Tons of stories here.Later Steve!!