just noticed craftsman sold out to china

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by owen1980, Mar 1, 2014.

1. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have zero faith in China's metallurgical practice. Plastics I'm OK with, but then we get into assembly, and the labor force practice is scary.
    I wouldn't mind 'made in Japan' at all. But the scary part is Japan is outsourcing production to China too.

2. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ironic that China can't do it because from what I hear...Japan has the best metal tech in the world

3. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I pointed out to Snappy that my new 1/2" ratchet didn't have USA on it anywhere and his remark was "oh, the teamsters probably forgot to put that on."

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

4. JOHNNYMO

JOHNNYMO Veteran Member

Look up the term "pig iron" Thats why Chinese metal goods suck.

5. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This sucks. I guess everytime I break one of my USA made Craftsman tools I've got no choice but to throw it away.:mad:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  6. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

I don't really have a problem with foreign-made stuff, I have a problem with poor quality. Seems these days China is shipping products with higher quality. Unfortunately the Craftsman stuff isn't the same quality it used to be, for the most part. I hear it called "Crapsman" pretty often.

7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't think there's anything magical about made in USA. China's tools have been inferior, because the importers buying them have spec'd them that way. They specify a quality level/price point, and the overseas factories deliver on that. We expect that made in US goods will be a premium product, manufacturers deliver on those specs (mostly) and we pay the premium price for it. Which many people, myself included, are happy to do for products that last.

I have some spectacular hand tools from Japan that I use at work. They are precision-made, just look well put-together, and have lasted a long time. JIS-tip screwdrivers are my favorite- I will never buy ordinary Philips again. At the same time, someone gave me an utter POS combination wrench from China.

It seems that right now, price is driving the quality. That, and some manufacturers are keeping their highest margin stuff close to the vest (rampant IP theft). But it would be dangerous to assume that they cannot manufacture to a quality level. Prices just haven't hit that point yet. If we ask them to, they will, and fairly quickly. Look at computers- low end, high end, they all come out of China for the most part.

(I hate to say it, but I think I like my German-made Wiha tools the best.)

8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oh- Sears is on its way out of business for good, IMO. That's why I don't bother with Craftsman tools anymore. Plus, after working with a nice set of polished beam combo wrenches- comfier in the hand, easier cleanup- I want to throw my embossed/rough-cast Craftsmans out anyway (bought 20+ years ago, so I won't, because I'm cheap, but...):)

9. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

The Sears stores have not been really competitive in the retail market for years. It is and always has been more of a tax write off for the Sears Financial Network.

10. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

They have their own kind of metal over there that I've always referred to as "chineseium."