Just pulled trigger on FiTech

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 408maro, Mar 6, 2016.

1. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Haven't driven mine yet but man is it nice just reaching in the car and having it start instantly and idle just as nice as can be.

2. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

Mine wasn't scheduled to get here until the end of July (ordered 5/18), however I was pleasantly surprised when it showed up about a week ago.

Have got about everything hooked up and plumbed, was fun ripping out all the extra vac lines, choke line, and mechanical gauges/wiring. I did go with the Fuel Command Center to keep the return-less system for now. I ended up mounting it on the passenger inner fender, just behind the battery. Looks sufficiently far from the headers but still close enough to the throttle body, although did have to relocate my coolant overflow to the driver-side.

Now I just gotta wire in power to the unit, and figure out if I can properly lock out my HEI and tie into the coil for firing from the ECU, or if I truly have to buy a separate points distributor and coil to do that... I need to re-read through my Googling on it, but anyone who wants to chime in on that, feel free :)

I will try to get some pictures as I get it cleaned up a little in the next few days.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  3. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

If it were me, I'd get the EFI tuned a little before I tried to mess with the timing. If it's timed good now, I'd leave it until I was satisfied the fuel curve was doing what I wanted. That's just me though. (Even FiTech says there is no real advantage to having the ECU run the timing....)

4. redriderjf87

Believe me, I've already read that. I do like having it tied together in one system, as well as the ability to read/record the values. I consider that an advantage in itself.

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can you just unhook the module in the HEI and use the pickup to fire the coil?

6. redriderjf87

I'm hoping it ends up something like that..

7. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Holy bejesus I just took mine for its first drive. The throttle response is absolutely insane! It ran beautiful. Just destroyed the tires on command! My prosystems is finely tuned and runs fantastic so I really was not expecting much difference but honestly the throttle response is night and day different! It feels like it is making more power.

8. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

I agree the throttle response is the 1sr thing you notice and it's great!

9. redriderjf87

Well (so far) I'm prepared to eat some crow on the whole timing control thing. Hooked everything up today, filled the fcc, ran through the wizard, and boom fired instantly. The idle is a little low but of course I've only idled it for a couple min in the garage, and haven't yet restarted since adjusting the tb stop.

I agree with the above, throttle response is great, as is being able to start effortlessly and repeatedly with no bs. Can't wait to finish cleaning up the wiring / connections and let it go to school :) I may or may not add the timing control later, but in all honesty I'm not losing sleep over it after what I've seen so far.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  10. redriderjf87

Just wanted to post one more quick update. Was still having idle issues and seemingly pretty low vacuum (5-7"). Took another look at the instructions and noticed they by default they recommend ported vacuum advance. Switched it to the unported connection and boom, now holds my target idle no problem.

I do have a fairly hot cam (10-10.5" vac at 1000 rpm, don't know the specs), so it may not be as important for others with a more streetable setup. Just thought I'd share.